Beijing - solo travel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A word of caution - do stick to the touristy bits if you're going out for a drink. My colleague was there on a business trip earlier this year and wandered away from the group, found a cute local bar and went in. Was shown a drinks menu with normal prices and when the bill came, RMB1200 for a coke!! When he complained they actually brought out a [different] menu with the "new" prices. Police or some kind of security was involved but he was basically told:
    " well, you knew the price when you ordered so you have to pay"
    Obviously could not prove there had been a separate menu, so paid the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Fly from Shenzhen for a cheaper flight. Look on travelzen
    great idea, thanks for the link as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    A word of caution - do stick to the touristy bits if you're going out for a drink. My colleague was there on a business trip earlier this year and wandered away from the group, found a cute local bar and went in. Was shown a drinks menu with normal prices and when the bill came, RMB1200 for a coke!! When he complained they actually brought out a [different] menu with the "new" prices. Police or some kind of security was involved but he was basically told:
    I've found it's quite common to find English-language menus to have different (and higher) prices than Chinese-language menus. Whenever I go into a restaurant the waiter normally brings an English-language menu over to me (if they have one), and I always explain that I would prefer to order from the standard Chinese menu. Indeed, even if the prices on the two menus are the same (and as often as not they are) you still tend to get much more choice in the Chinese-language version. Either the restaurant hasn't managed to successfully translate the names of all the dishes into English, or else they assume foreigners won't enjoy some of the more local dishes. Being able to speak and read Chinese helps, of course.

I've never heard of anyone being charged quite as much as RMB1,200 for a Coke, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out as I have seen prices of other commodities multiplied several hundred times in an effort to swindle foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    hmm, "cute local" bar and high drinks bill. sounds like your mate ended up going to a girlie bar........

lived in beijing for 2 years. had never anything happen to me, and I frequently went out at nights.

try elong or ctrip for your flight. I prefer elong and have been using them for years. Flight from Shenzhen to Beijing during low season is 400 RMB, and there is no fuel surcharge for domestic flights.

Quote Originally Posted by M Khan:
    I've found it's quite common to find English-language menus to have different (and higher) prices than Chinese-language menus. Whenever I go into a restaurant the waiter normally brings an English-language menu over to me (if they have one), and I always explain that I would prefer to order from the standard Chinese menu. Indeed, even if the prices on the two menus are the same (and as often as not they are) you still tend to get much more choice in the Chinese-language version. Either the restaurant hasn't managed to successfully translate the names of all the dishes into English, or else they assume foreigners won't enjoy some of the more local dishes. Being able to speak and read Chinese helps, of course.
    Most places I have been to do not have any English menus, but have picture menus. Point and select!

bring your own travel book

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Hi

Blonde moment here for me.

I'm planning on going to Beijing at the end of May, around the Tuen Ng festival period.

I'm presuming it is fine and possible to travel solo there.

I spent a week in Beijing for personal travel, in April. The entire experience was GREAT except for ONE point which I will share with you....

Beijing bookstores do not stock Lonely Planet Beijing, Frommers Beijing, etc. I went the most popular bookstore for expats (Foreign Language Bookstore, it's called) and although they stock every other Lonely Planet guide published, the Beijing and China travel books were totally absent. The staff told me, "No China".

Quote Originally Posted by reinkarnation:
    try elong or ctrip for your flight. I prefer elong and have been using them for years. Flight from Shenzhen to Beijing during low season is 400 RMB, and there is no fuel surcharge for domestic flights.

The advantage of travelzen is that when using an 'international credit card', there is no surcharge as with elong and ctrip.

So am going via shenzhen to beijing and coming back to hong kong direct on the way back.

Booked via Travelzen. Didn't accept my RMB HSBC Union Credit card, so ended up paying with my HKG visa card, no biggie.

I have a China LP, which I'll be taking. However was wondering if someone had stumbled upon a Beijing guide for the iphone. I've found the Beijing Taxi guide for iphone, but was wondering if there is anything else out there.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    So am going via shenzhen to beijing and coming back to hong kong direct on the way back.

Booked via Travelzen. Didn't accept my RMB HSBC Union Credit card, so ended up paying with my HKG visa card, no biggie.

I have a China LP, which I'll be taking. However was wondering if someone had stumbled upon a Beijing guide for the iphone. I've found the Beijing Taxi guide for iphone, but was wondering if there is anything else out there.
    hey Pin, how did your trip go? I am planning to go there on my own for a weekend, any pointers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast