Visiting Disney Hong Kong.. some tips

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sun> Not to sure about HK Disney, but I used to live almost literaly right next door the orginal Disneyland in Anaheim California. I dont know how many of these are applicable, but some thoughts:

1. If you can choose WHEN, I recomend going immedatly after one of the most popular times of year. For CA that case was January and Late Sept/Oct (after Xmas and Summer rush). If you can only choose the day, I recomend a tuesday or wednsday (both other days get alot of spill over from the weekend). Needless to say, avoid any holiday and any day immedately before or after. Finaly if there is a day where EVERYONE expects it to rain buckets, go. You will have the part to yourselves.

2. As soon as you get there RUN! The best time to get to any of the ride with lines is early in the morning. Try to be the first in the park, and the first on the rides. Leave things like shopping, eating, etc. later in the day. THis makes sense as well since you can do those with the AC, you can wait in line outside in the AC.

3. Food is pricey, however a couple of thoughts to keep things down. Packing a lunch is lame, however packing snacks/water/etc. is not. Unlike most parks I have been to, Disney will have some family resturant/less fast foodish type options. These are not only more relaxing, they are also a bit better of a value when amount and quality are considered. Finaly if you really want to take the time, leave the park. (Again I do not know what the HK set up is like) There is monorail that will take you to the Disney hotel, off the park, and they will give you stamp to get back in. There you can eat in the hotel (again a bit better than pricey fast food) or you can even leave and see what is in the local area (again I dont know what is around that area).

4. Shopping, one word DONT. Get customary embroidered cap, and then walk away. Give your husband/boyfried/stingy figure in your life the credit cards. Its all crap, obviously, and you can get cheaper souviners outside the park. Again to reinterate, think of the old hikers motto, leave only footprints, take ONLY photographs.

5. If you must get souviners for friends and family, look around the whole park. You can usualy find some funky things that will cost you less than the run of the mill mickey t-shirt. One of my favorite things as a kid was a pack of disney playing cards (Mickey the King, Minnie the Queen, Donald/goofy/pluto/somebody the Jacks, you get the idea) I got them for the price of normal playing cards at the Disney Hotel gift shop (again off site).

6. Wear sunscreen, carry water bottles. Everyone in the family!

7. It's impractical to carry a jacket for everyone or a umbrella, so get the largest cheap poncho you can find for the family to hide under if needed (small when folded, lightweight).

Visiting Disney Hong Kong.. some tips

Oh a couple things I forget, but remember now.

1. Bring a Radio/MP3/CD/Gameboy/whatever in order to let your time in line breeze by. This is the same as the suncreen water comment. Trust me the last thing you want to do is be in line with a 9 year old, when its over 30C, for an hour when they have NOTHING to do but wait.

2. Just because it does not have a flashy sign, or a fake mountian, does not make it a poor ride. One of my favorites at Disneyland has always been Toads Wild Ride, hidden in the Castle area. A bit old fashioned, but fun and whimsical.

3. Be a nice and polite as possible to the park staff. I have had quite a few friends in High School and College work there. Trust me their life is hell at times. I have been told its even worse than any other service job since not only do you have to "smile" you fell you have a personal responsiblity to do so due to childlike connection most of us have with Disney. Treat them well.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaxel:
    How much fun is that??? Can you imagine going to Disneyland in an amber (or worse) rainstorm?
    Sorry again, I am used to the Southren California use of Buckets, which is a light rainstorm in HK. Further, One of the best things about going on a day that they all PREDICT lots of rain? Weathermen are always wrong

Hey DMan, you should post this info as a seperate thread in either the "Living In Hong Kong" or the 'Travel' forums - it's good useful stuff.

And its magically been split

Ah - but you magically missed the first bit he posted KIA!

Unhappy

The first half of D-man's advice is missing from this thread and still left in the "The True INN", page 3 ... split in the wrong place ...

Oops ... fixed.

Be Aware - Disney Hong Kong are banning people from taking in their own food and drink, so DON'T take it with you!

You'll just have to buy Disney's stuff (so take plenty of money)..

Drambuie Man

You missed one other important tip. Not sure if it was available in DL Ca but we just moved from Tokyo and one of the cool systems there is the "fast pass system"

I am sure they'll have it here in HK.

It's meant for all the cool rides which are most popular. You simply put your pass into a mhn and it issues you with a ticket for coming back at a specific time range within 15-30mins (i think !) for your turn on the ride. You then que in the fast pass line and don't have to que for hours on end.

The cath with this system is you cannot get fast passes for multiple rides. You must complete one before you can go get another.

In Tokyo the norm is that as soon as the park opens you run to your favourite ride (which is on the fast pass system) and get the ticket. Go enjoy other rides, come back and get into your fav ride and do the same all over again all day long !

Be aware that they don't issue the fast passes forever. They probably have a quota for each time slot after which the mhns stop issuing tickets for that time slot.

To give folks here an idea the fav ride in Tokyo is the Winnie the Phoo ride (rather naff but my 5 year old loved it) for which you would end up in line for nearly 1.5hrs but with fast pass you are in within 15-20mins. This is the most favuorite ride in Tokyo. Its a Japanese thing with Winnie the Phoo !

Now after all this typing.....I hope they do have the same system in HK.

Enjoy !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast