Hanoi

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Get the train from Guangzhou to Nanning, hang out in the back streets of Nanning eating the type of street food that HK really should have but are scared of. Jump on the Beijing to Hanoi overnight train. Makes it a little more interesting.

oh, and for a friendly super cheap guest house at $6 USD a night. Look for the Mahn Dung guesthouse. Clean, right next to the lake in an alley in the old town, mental staff, good fun and really, really helpful. I've stayed there half a dozen times and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

I would suggest the Thu Giang guesthouse near the
    Hang Da Market (Cho Hang Da).... it is a little hard to find but well worth it...
    also you got to try bun cha-- grilled pork over noodles-- it seems simple but the dish is great

if you can get to Lenin Park around 6am or even Hoan Kiem lake-- it is well worth it--- old Vietnamese jogging in their pajamas and doing tai-chi while younger couples practice ballroom dancing and studly men work out on a makeshift gym.

--also go to trang tien street (by the opera house) at 9pm preferably on a Friday or Saturday night and buy ice cream at the local stand "Kem Trang Tien"... it is the most crazy ice-cream buying experience i have every had!

I second the Mahn Dung guesthouse suggestion...nice place to stay on a budget !
    Do not miss the Water Puppets show and wander around the French Old Quater and the different lakes...such a great city...

Great to have some tips on more economical places to stay - thx. Stayed at the Sofitel and enjoyed that very much - a slice of Somerset Maugham. Near that hotel, splurge (still cheap!!) on dinner at the Opera restuarant across from the side entrance - also the Press Club next door. Check out the papers - we found a free son et lumiere show at a French cultural club. THe Perfume Pagoda was a great trip - about an hour in a small skiff rowed by a woman who spoke no English...just took in the green, the manzing mountains, the sounds of birds...such peace...then a gentle hike to the pagoda - beautiful - an lunch - interesting and tasty (no Canada Food Safe Program in evidence). CHeck out a restored Chinese merchant house in the old quarter - intersting for architecture buffs. Wnet to a cermaics village and a silk village - and stopped by the road to wander into a Catholic village, find a priest and got to ring the church bells. Great people -- in a few places, spontaneous singing, beautiful smils. Will go back ;-) Enjoy!