South Africa 2010 world cup

Closed Thread

South Africa 2010 world cup

Anyone planning to go to cape Town SA for the World Cup next year.
    Never been to cape town and now planning trip to go there. Any tips or advice what to do and what not to do in CT.

SA world cup

It will be a definite worthwhile event, the first ever major soccer event hosted in this continent will be closely monitored. So crime will hopeful be tamed by then for the tourists and the sake of the country's reputation. I now some of the stadiums are currently under construction, but i government are adamant that everything is well on course...that's my tax money they are spending so they better be good with their words.

I just want to clarify that SA has 3 capital cities..pretoria (administrative), capetown (legislative) and Bloemfontein (whatever).

The better parts to visit is off course CT, green point stadium is still not done yet. The one in Durban has an impressive bridge over it. The final game will take place in Soweto (JHB), better known as the informal settlement of the poorest of the poor..remnant of the apartheid saga. Guess they are trying to boost the area up by having it there.

Words of warning (this is coming from a citizen of SA)...do not charter unknown areas unattended by a local or a guide. Go in groups is better. You will be killed for your possessions. Dress code's plain and simple..no blings and sha-blings..leave those in your country.

Good luck

Going to SA is like entering the lottery - you never know if it's your turn or not. I'm from SA and I love the place to bits, but moved away due to the violence. I lived in Stellenbosch (most beautiful place about 30 mins from Cape Town, known for it's excellent wine).

Remember that SA is quite big - there is currently no public transport infrastructure and no way of knowing which taxis are legal and which are not. A friend of mine (from the UK) recently went there with his wife and got into a taxi that looked pretty legal. On their way to Table Mountain, there was a police roadblock. The taxi driver told them to get out, made a u-turn and raced off.... Nice one! So, how you get from A to B will be a challenge. Also, with SA being so poor, tourists will be targeted without a doubt. The criminals are counting down the days to the worldcup too... When the Lions played there recently, there were numerous reports of supporters being mugged.

I'd listen to the advice from "wen2be", but be more than careful. However, on the up side. Cape Town is stunning. The people (except maybe for the few that want to mug/hijack you) are incredibly friendly and the food is amazing. The prices can be very reasonable and there is a lot to see and do.

Hope this helps.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    the first ever major soccer event
    2010 FIFE World Cup South Africa

FIFE = Fédération Internationale de Football Association

What part of football don't you understand? *tapping foot*

My parents live in Cape Town so we visit at least twice a year. It's a stunning place, great views, great food and amazing wine...all at very reasonable prices. My husband is thinking of going there during the World Cup too.

The downside is, the crime rate is really quite shocking, and a lot of it we probably do not hear outside of the country. But do as you would in any unknown/unfamiliar place and keep a low profile and don't venture anywhere you are unsure of. Also, I certainly would advise against venturing into any townships, even if it is by way of a guided tour (which have become very popular in recent years)...have heard lots of horror stories about muggings from many local tour guides there.

There is no public transport and would certainly not trust a taxi so hiring a car pretty much is a necessity, but it's not expensive overall - all the usual car hire firms are there and fuel is comparatively cheap.

I would agree with wen2be and be as plain as you can. I leave my jewellery in HK, wear a cheap plastic watch whenever I am there, and dress very plainly (i.e. as above, definitely no bling accessories/phones/handbags etc).

However, crime rate aside, it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and the stunning scenery still takes my breath away each time I visit. There is so much to do and prices are so reasonable that if you are sensible about how you go about there and be very careful about personal safety, then you will not regret a holiday in the Western Cape.

With each visit, I always make sure I travel around the Western Cape and try different vineyards. A lot of them will have B&B facilities and I have yet to be disappointed by any one of them!

Unfortunately, Singapore Airlines is no longer doing the direct non-stop flight from Singapore to Cape Town (it now stops at JBH for a couple of hours) so we tend to go with Emirates now, as it is probably one of the less tiring/time consuming routes in terms of getting there. They often do some very good special offers too. I tend to avoid JBH airport as much as possible.

Best of luck!

Football is better known as soccer in South Africa, Claire ex-ax.