URGENT: Kota Kinablu hotel recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

lol...yes i agree Sleuth. its just muslim / american tensions are not the greatest.....and ive never really dealt with muslims before (except for chinese muslims in mainland china), let alone in a muslim country.

im assuming its fine...but got the wife and family freaking out...which in turn starts making me think more....chain reaction

And there was just a third bomb in Jakarta area. This one a car bomb.

But still nothing to be worried about, I don't believe.
    Plus KK hardly qualifies as Muslim.

Know how you feel, but KK is a little bit off the beaten path, and the Nexus even more so (as in 40 mins or so out of KK itself). I've been to Rasa Ria, and I think you should just relax and enjoy your holiday. I just get the feeling that KK isn't really a major player.
    However was at Rasa Ria once, walking along the beach when this helicopter flew overhead. I thought we were in for some trouble and headed for the sea, but turned out it was just bringing some people in who had to walk in the sand with their suitcases for about 500 metres. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

one thing id like to ask (as if i havent asked enough crap already) is about the snorkeling / diving.

i will be with 1 adult who is a new swimmer (with limited ability), and 1 young teen who is an OK swimmer. is there a recommended place to go snorkeling or diving? i want everyone to enjoy themselves and not bee too difficult. when i was in boracay, the snorkeling we did was on very rough water, and the guide forced us to stay under the boat, keeping one hand on the side panel of boat. this was very difficult (even for me a veteran swimmer) as I kept bouncing up hitting the boat and kept on worrying about what was above me. i want to make sure this time its an open area of calm water and just relaxing floating around

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    anyone think i should be concerned about the bombing in Jakarta?
    i know its a different country and all...but it just freaks me out.

ive never been to a muslim country before, and i am as white as they come.

ive booked the nexus now...so no turning back. so in addition to no jelly fish and sand flies, i now have to wish for no bombings?
    Malaysia and Indonesia are POLES apart when it comes to safety and bombing risk. Completely different. Rest easy. Malaysia is one of the best integrated multicultural yet still muslim countries around (pls note I'm not saying it's perfect, just not risky in the sense you are asking!) - has large Indian and Chinese and Christian communities as well as Muslims - you will be fine.

(from me, sitting in a Western hotel in the centre of KL, as it happens. I lived in KL for several years a while ago).

to the bugger who gave me a red blob for this thread for being "urgent my ass" ... it was urgent as all the bookings were filling and i needed to settle on my decision. thanks for your shadowy criticism though...its always appreciated.

anyways...just wanted to give an update on my trip to those who cared:
    Nexus SUCKS !!!!!!!
    Rasa Ria was full, so we decided on Nexus since it boasted a 5 star rating as well. All i can say is they were more like a 3 star, and nothing even remotely better.
    - The rooms were very old, bare, and dirty looking (stains on rugs and walls, broken fixtures)
    - There were never enough lounge chairs near the pool or the ocean, so we were constantly "waiting" for seats.
    - The lounge cushions were mostly stained and dirty looking
    - The pool was filled with sand, and looked like they dont clean it often
    - Most of the activities were closed. Horses were "sick", jet skiis were broken, speed boat was being serviced.
    - Parasailing ended up being a dirty boat with rickity looking equipment. The technician managed to cut one of our legs and did not apologize or seem to care, they did not tell us any signals if problems, and when in the air we did not go high at all as the rope was too short. They also did not keep an eye on us, as i ended up wanting to come down from boredom and had to try and signal to them for a full 5 mins before they noticed me screaming at them.
    - The staff was not polite and never greeted us. They were very unhelpful and slow to respond.

So....thanks for suggestion but I will never be returning to that place ever again, and would highly recommend anyone else to skip this resort. IT was not worth a dime of my money or time.

What a shame! Thanks for giving us the feedback anyway - maybe you saved someone else from it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    lol...yes i agree Sleuth. its just muslim / american tensions are not the greatest.....and ive never really dealt with muslims before (except for chinese muslims in mainland china), let alone in a muslim country.

im assuming its fine...but got the wife and family freaking out...which in turn starts making me think more....chain reaction
    Sorry you had a bad time. Nothing worse than a bad vacation experience....

On the bright side, nobody tried to blow the hotel up and you all survived.