Chinese Visa

Closed Thread

Chinese Visa

For a UK citizen travelling by train to GuangZhou about 26th July for 5 days.

For the visa, should we use a travel agent? Embassy? Risk the border?

Thank you xxx

I think it would be easier to get the visa in Hong Kong. You can go to the Consular Department which involves queuing and waiting but costs HKD450 or you can use a travel agent like JAPAN TRAVEL AGENCY LIMITED which will cost you HKD600. You can pay more for same day service.

I've never tried to get a visa at the border so I can't tell you how that works.

You can't get a visa at the border for Guangzhou - they apply only to the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You can't get a visa at the border for Guangzhou - they apply only to the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone.
    PDLM is correct, of course. If you are taking the train from Hung Hom, it is a through-train and you go through HK immigration there, get on the train, then it stops in Guangzhou 2hrs later. Then you go through China Immigration (no visas are available at the gate). Easy.

You can go to the China Consular, if you go in the morning at 8.30am, it's only 35mins wait, even China travel service (at HK$600 for single visit, you can wait up to 1 hour, but they have dishonest staff who rip people off), search for other geoexpat links for further info on doggy practices by CTS in regards to visas.

best value is for 6 months unlimited visa by China Consular at HK$900 ( CTS will charge you HK$1,300) or year visa at HK$1,300 (according to other expaters, they claim to offer a year visa, but give you a 6 month visa for HK$1,300)

You are all brilliant - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    You can go to the China Consular, if you go in the morning at 8.30am, it's only 35mins wait, even China travel service (at HK$600 for single visit, you can wait up to 1 hour, but they have dishonest staff who rip people off), search for other geoexpat links for further info on doggy practices by CTS in regards to visas.

best value is for 6 months unlimited visa by China Consular at HK$900 ( CTS will charge you HK$1,300) or year visa at HK$1,300 (according to other expaters, they claim to offer a year visa, but give you a 6 month visa for HK$1,300)
    I have gone to CTS in Tokwawan for all China trips and not once could I say I didn't do well (granted my local friend did all the talking as they aren't great in English) and likely will go there again as I have had the best luck there for packages would not go to Wanchai CTS as their service sucked.

But you must go to China commissioner's office for the visa for price and quickness just to be sure you will get it.