44yrs on.

Closed Thread

44yrs on.

Hi everybody,
    please forgive but i think this is the right forum in which to move forward and get as much info as possible,ive already spoken to Vile and Penguinsix from the British ex Pats forum,and it has been suggested to tap into this one. If i could give you a little up date to put you in the picture as to where i'm coming from. It was in 65/66 i was last in H/K stationed up at Sek Kong and i made a promise if i could i would like to return to the island at a later date. So 44yrs later the time has come and i will be leaving Manchester on October 1st 09 for a 5night stay.I have booked into the Cosmopolitan hotel at Causeway Bay to use as a base,i understand i,m in for the biggest shock of my life,but this is a once in a life time return, So the FLOOR IS YOURS,any comments most welcome???????

I was here in 73 as a 19yr old at Tamar and came back to stay 5 yrs ago. Coming back for you ? A shock indeed !!! However - you will not be disappointed.

Just do a LOT of neck exercises so you don't over strain yourself looking UP at all the skyscrapers. In your day nothing went much over 6 floors.

Any downsides ? Yes - Wanchai is a POOR imitation of what you would have remembered and loved, as did I. But it still has the character if not the expanse of its former glory. The " in place " is now a developed area ( LKF - Lang Kwai Fong ) in the heart of Central and reflects the financial success of " Honkers " over the last 30 yrs. Not a patch on old Wanch but times change, as you will see.

Biggest advantage ? You don't have the " Mr Toads Wild Ride " flying into Ki Tak. The airport now is awesome and I advise you to take the Airport Express Train into Central and you will find a FREE bus at the terminus to take you to the hotel. The ride is a good intro to the changes you can expect here now.

5 Days? Your going to be busy my friend. Welcome back !!

Thumbs up

Boris,
    Many thanks my friend,yes you have just reminded me with a smile and a laugh at you comments,cheers and thanks.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

One thing you should do is fly to Sek Kong
    Heliservices (HK) Ltd. Over 30 years of Aviation Excellence.
    and
    Sky Shuttle
    Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it.

If you want to see sek kong again, i would recommend that you take the red MTR line to the end (Tsuen Wan) and either find Nina Tower or try and make your way above the MTR station and you should find KMB bus #51 which goes to Kam Tin. This bus will go over Tai Mo Sha and once you have reached the top it will go down hill and you should see Sek kong camp, try to get off in the middle where there is a pagoda (view point) and you will have an amazing view of the camp and sek kong village. Have fun.

Bus info http://www.kmb.hk/english.php?page=s...om=&select_to=

Last edited by wtbhotia; 22-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Hope you enjoy your time here, Tony. I wish I'd seen HK in the 60s!

Hi Bootblogger,
    Yes it was an a great and very happy time,i was over here for 12 months and enjoyed every minute of it,the rolling 60s,rickshaws all over the place,and like have said previously the promise to return is going to happen.[buzzing mate] because common sense prevails and not to start getting posts deleted i have to be careful what i say and i don't want to offend any body,or compromise the forum standards,so very nice talking to you and keep in touch friend.

No offence so far!