Travel advisory clinics in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Travel advisory clinics in Hong Kong

A few years ago, I went into my university clinic in Canada to consult with a doctor before I flew to West Papua to work. The doc gave me a prescription for a list of medicines that I should take with me (antibiotics, ORT, flagyl...) plus advises on other preventative medicines (anti-malaria), vaccines (the dukoral probably saved my life), etc. I even bought my own syringes.

Then I visited two clinics in Hong Kong and asked for similar advises, and was told to "see a doctor there if you get sick, you shouldn't self medicate."

I'm getting ready for a long solo camping trip in NZ, I'll definitely consult a doc if I'm seriously ill, but I'm not about to pull out my EPIRB and heli-evacuate myself every time I get a cold or a blister/ bladder infection. Is there anywhere in HK where I can consult a travel-advisor and get the prescriptions for the basic stuff? (antibiotics, flagyl, etc)

Thanks,

Look up the "travel clinics" thread at the bottom of the page. Did you visit the government ones there, or did you ask private practises?

Did both, actually.

The gov travel clinic gave me vaccines, but again, would not prescribe medicine.

Hi there
    You should be okay for a camping trip in NZ, as there are no real threats and as far as I know nothing you need vaccinating against, but take lots of bug spray!
    You can try going to some of the smaller pharmacies in HK and buying off the shelf (or behind the counter) the things you may think you will need ie penicillin, flagyl etc and take them with you.
    Hope you will take a cellphone (dial 111) in emergencies just in case and like every other camping trip tell somebody where you are going and when you expect to be back. NZ weather can be quite unpredictable and if you are camping in the more remote places you need to keep a careful watch.
    Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks a lot, Alli. Are you from NZ?

Unfortunately, I'll be camping along the coast for 3 months or longer, depending on the weather. I won't get reliable phone signal throughout the journey (I'll be circumnavigating the South Island), and yeah, the sandflies and bugs can be really discouraging

I'll make a police report before I launch, and if I'm lucky, I will also try to stay in touch with local fishermen when I get to the more remote parts of the Island (Fiordland, South/West coast...) Other than that, I'm on my own. I understand NZ is a beautiful country with reliable health care (famous last words!), but I think I should still take some basic medicine with me.

If you remember the dosage, you can purchase most antibiotics and flagyl at local HK pharmacies. Not the ideal route, but at least the stuff is available. Can you call the travel clinic you used back home to get some suggestions about what you should bring, then find the stuff here?

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress:
    Thanks a lot, Alli. Are you from NZ?

Unfortunately, I'll be camping along the coast for 3 months or longer, depending on the weather. I won't get reliable phone signal throughout the journey (I'll be circumnavigating the South Island), and yeah, the sandflies and bugs can be really discouraging

I'll make a police report before I launch, and if I'm lucky, I will also try to stay in touch with local fishermen when I get to the more remote parts of the Island (Fiordland, South/West coast...) Other than that, I'm on my own. I understand NZ is a beautiful country with reliable health care (famous last words!), but I think I should still take some basic medicine with me.
    Yep, from NZ but camping is not really my thing. But I reckon you're more likley to get caught by weather than by sickness. I do remember that giardia (?) is a big thing so remember to boil water and you can get those water purifying tablets. As long as you are sensible and do take some basic medicine you should be fine. From experience, because of the clean air you may pick up a chest infection (amoxicillin), it's more of a reaction than anything else. When are you going?

It is a beautiful country and the South Island is a bit of everything and totally gorgeous, but as I said before just keep contact with someone. If I think of some contacts I will pm you, they are quite friendly down there in case you were wondering.

Hope you have a fantastic time, and let us know how you get on.
    Cheers