central mini buses

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

central mini buses

i've seen red minibuses in central at night time that go to mong kok. i see people go onto them but don't pay right away. does anyone know how those mini buses work?

You pay the driver when you get off. Cash only.

guess i'll just have to figure out how much. or bring a lot of change . . . why do we pay when we get off though? why not just pay when we get on? that's what i don't get.

And you have to speak enough Cantonese to negotiate the price (and the route / drop off location) with the driver.

that's very sketchy . . . i have to bring a random amount of change because it might be different every night . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LW00:
    guess i'll just have to figure out how much. or bring a lot of change . . . why do we pay when we get off though? why not just pay when we get on? that's what i don't get.
    Depends on the route, but cost sometimes depends on distance travelled and also the attitude of the driver. If he decides you are a $15 fare rather than $10, so be it.

The drivers give change - so it you give them a $20 note you should get something back.

Yup - that's the way the red ones work. There are green minibuses and big buses that go at night from Central to Mongkok and have fixed prices and routes.

the price is generally shown on a board in the front dashboard of the driver - if there are many sections, then each one is shown with a different price.... even if you cannot read chinese, it's usually not hard to figure it out after a few runs - i find the prices to be much the same most of the time, but perhaps go up when it's really wet!

i guess i'll have an adventure tonight. i actually live in kwai fong but figure it will be cheaper to take a mini bus to mong kok then a taxi from mong kok to kwai fong then to take a taxi straight from central to kwai fong.

i use the red buses all the time to get to the gold coast and I don't speak a word of cantonese. you figure it out!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast