Backpacking Vietnam and Cambodia for 5 days...suggestions and anyone interested?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Angkor Wat's just one temple, admittedly the most immediately impressive. There are plenty of other temples/sites to see at Angkor.

Plus there's a boat tour on Tonle Sap with the Vietnamese floating villages, a crocodile farm, modern Buddhist temples, drinking, eating, shopping and massages. Though the massages are a bit crap in the cheaper places and tourist tat is tourist tat. But you could spend 5 days just in Siem Reap and not get bored. Personally I think 5 days is too little time to go to more than one place. Perhaps you have more energy than I do?

Last edited by Sigga; 07-08-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Depending on if it's a relaxing trip or a hopping trip, haha....

The restoration is an ongoing process and work is being carried out at more than one complex, not just the Angkor Wat. It has been like that for almost a year already I think, and is likely to continue for a while yet.

For me one full day at the various Wat complexes (don't forget the elephant ride, balloon ride and the short hike up nearby hill overlooking Angkor Wat) and a half day (the next day) at the Tonle Sap Floating Villages (must see the floating fish/crocodile enclosure) were about as much time as I would have liked to spend at Siem Reap.

Evenings are good for bargain-hunting and outdoor dining at food stalls.

When is the best season to go to Angkor?

If you want to avoid the rain and the heat - probably november-january.
    If you want to avoid just the rain october - april I guess..

Thank you all for the inputs. Most probably for me it will be Siem Reap + Sihanoukville. Will PM you all for more details if needed. Once again thank you.

cheers!

We're also thinking of going to Cambodia and Vietnam, but for 10 days, is that a more realistic timeframe for both? Someone also mentioned to us that you can travel between the two by taking a river boat trip, but didn't get the details, does anyone know anything about that?

Personally having done both last year, I'd say that 10 days is quite short for both, although I guess it depends on how much you want to see! I only did the main Vietnam towns/cities and it took 12days, but then we stopped for a day or so in each! Within both countries the main form of transport is bus (and train in Vietnam) so quite a lot of your time could be spend on a bus if you try and spread yourself too thinly!

If it were me, I'd only do one country in that time frame and get to truely experience that place. And I guess the other thing is if you want any beach time within that 10days?

You are right that you can get a boat from Vietnam to Cambodia, it's from a place calle Chau doc to phnom penh (capital of cambodia). It's quite a common route into Cambodia with lots of fast and slow options depending on your time and cost requirement. The only downside (and the reason that we didn't take this route!) is that the bus ride to chau doc from ho chi minh is 6 hours and the one direct to phnom penh is only 4hrs (I think!)

Obviously all of this is only my opinion, but I have done it relatively recently! If you do want any other details you can of course pm me!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Might be worth mentioning that you can expect farcical immigration 'procedures' entering Cambodia by water-based or land-based transportation.

Nothing too harmful other than a little extra money, but be on your guard. IIRC, the land-route entry point from Thailand is the one to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker:
    Might be worth mentioning that you can expect farcical immigration 'procedures' entering Cambodia by water-based or land-based transportation.

Nothing too harmful other than a little extra money, but be on your guard. IIRC, the land-route entry point from Thailand is the one to avoid.
    Agree - something to be aware of.

See Tales of Asia for some good information.