Backpacking Vietnam and Cambodia for 5 days...suggestions and anyone interested?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Backpacking Vietnam and Cambodia for 5 days...suggestions and anyone interested?

Hey all,

October 1st and 5th happens to be day off at work.

A wild thought to backpack: Cambodia/Vietnam. Not sure if 5 days is too short.

Yet to do my research on the places and logistics. Will be trying to grab a Lonely Planet this weekend and put down a plan.

Anyone in the forum with experience, please pour in your suggestions. Also if anyone is interested in backpacking let me know.

Cheers!

Naka
    Mob: 97685495

Choose one not both. 5 days is about right for Siem Reap in Cambodia. Or you could go to Hanoi and Ninh Binh in Vietnam. Or Saigon and the Mekong Delta.

Oh, I happen to be there during that time

Article in HK magazine about Angkor last week - while not aimed at the budget traveller still has some useful advice.

Dropping Angkor

Last edited by drumbrake; 03-08-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: extra detail

Thank you Drundrake...appreciate your suggestions.

A friend and I managed 5 days quite comfortably in Cambodia.

We started off with Siem Reap where we spent two nights, and then took a bus down to Phnom Penh only to get a taxi to take is down to Sihanoukville for two nights and then back up to Phnom Penh for another two nights with an early morning departure after the second night.

Snooky was the highlight of our trip. If you would like to know more, feel free to drop me a PM.

I agree Sihanoukville is one of the best places to go! Travelling is slow in Cambodia, so there's no way you can see both Vietnam and Cambodia in 5 days. Maybe Siem Reap+Sihanoukville. Phnom Penh is a nice city, but not that special for tourists.

Flights to Ho Chi Migh City is very cheap if you book it through zuji.com (round tickets including taxes should be around HKD1150), and you can spend 1 day or so in HCMC (downtown very small but you can take a one day tour to Mekong Delta area), then either take budget airline to Hanoi or Halong Bay or take a bus to either Phnom Pehn (3 hours, 20 USD) or Siam Reap (6/7 hours?) for Ankor Wat.

I'm actually interested in backpacking there again (never been to Ankor Wat, though)....Naka let me know your plan!

Angkor Wat is undergoing restoration which is a good thing, but the drawback is that in the short term it looks ugly with all the scaffolding. Then again there is more to Siem Reap than just the Angkor Wat complex. Dozens of nice temples and ruins that you can see.

It's under restroration? Till when?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast