From HKIA to Shenzhen in Late Evening

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question From HKIA to Shenzhen in Late Evening

My wife and I will arrive at HKIA at 22:20 on the 16th of August (Sunday) form Boston, USA. We have to go to Shenzhen, Nanshan after arrival. Could someone kindly answer the following questions:

1. Is it possible to catch the 22:45 GG Coach to Shenzhen?

2. If we missed the GG Coach, what is the best way to get to Shenzhen after 23:00?

3. Is the Shenzhen Bay Port (through the bridge) open after midnight? (we may have to take a taxi to one of the ports).

Due to a un-predicted family incident, we have to book this late evening flight. We appreciate your help.

HarvardMedicals

1. Very unlikely, the plane will take at least 10 mins to taxi and then up to 30 mins to unload

2. I can't answer (3), but the Huang Gang border crossing is 24 hrs, so N.T. green taxi to border crossing, yellow bus to cross border, then taxi on SZ side to Nanshan

I think your budget on 40min checking out of the airport is indeed a bit tight. However after a bit of research plus my own experience, I'd come up with two plans for you(open for corrections though as I'm not an expert and still fairly new to HK):

Plan A-the most economical: if you made it out before 11:20pm,
    1. walk to the bus terminal at the airport, on board S1 bus for a 10-15 min ride to Tung Chung(last bus departs at 12 midnight, bus fare 3.50hkd);
    2. then walk 2 min to Tung Chung MTR and take the train(last train departs at 12 midnight or something), then get off at Lai King and change to Tsuen Wan line and get off at Tsuen Wan(last train departs from Lai King to Tsuen Wan: 1am something; train fare total around 13hkd);
    3. take your time to walk(appx. 5 min) to Tsuen Wan Bus Terminal located near NanFung Centre and take a bus there directly to Huang Gang border crossing(costs 39hkd);
    4. after the border crossing take a taxi to Nanshan.
    You can google MTR timetable and map and HK S1 bus schedule for a better idea.

Plan B: hassle-free but a bit pricey, and if you can't check out before 11:20(I'm allowing for waiting time etc), take a taxi from the airport directly to Tsuen Wan bus terminal and board the bus to Huang Gang border. I had only taken a taxi from Tung Chung to Tsuen Wan and it costs around $180+$30toll; also taxi from Tung Chung to airport is $35. If you can pre-book a taxi using Cantonese, you can save up to 20% of the fare so I've heard.

I'm not aware of any transportation going to Shenzhen directly from the airport at that late hour.

Good luck!!!

I think a one-off =<$300 charge for a taxi to Lok Ma Chau-Huang Gang border crossing after a long haul is more attractive than messing about going from A to B to C to D, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    I think a one-off =<$300 charge for a taxi to Lok Ma Chau-Huang Gang border crossing after a long haul is more attractive than messing about going from A to B to C to D, etc!
    Agree. Actually I'd be doing that myself...I was merely presenting another option for the cost-conscious sort...
    Last edited by OZTOHK; 06-08-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Directly opposite Arrivals exit A (immediate after you pass through customs) you will see the hotel transport concessions.The booth closest to you is for sky limo which runs a fleet of vans/people movers about every 20 mins that go direct to shenzen border at LokMaChau/WongKong.

About $150 HKD per person- last car leaves at midnight so you should have time .About 50m mins to border and no need to leave the van as you cross the HK border (which you will need to do if you get a taxi and then a yellow shuttle bus)

It takes you all the way up to the Shenzen (WongKong) side of the border where you cross and get a taxi from the rank there to NamSaan

You should be in NaamSaan by about 0130

About the GG coach i dont think you would make the last coach unless you absolutely hammered through immigration /customs etc and ran over to terminal 2 which is where the coaches leave from. And If your flight docks at gate 60 or further out the time to clear will be even longer

anyway you will see the ticket selling booths opposite exit A arrivals (or in the walkway to terminal 2 (and you can always try your luck depending on when the last GG or other coach leaves for WongKong(my guess this would be 2300 or similar)

Shenzen Bay Port closes early so i would not advise heading for this -WongKong border is the one you want to get to

Thanks ray98, OZTOHK, and hongkong7 for the very important information. I think multiple transfers on train/buses are too hard for us in the evening after a 20hrs flight. We should take the van operated by sky limo or a taxi to the border. Thanks. HarvardMedicals

Btw, the taxi should be able to take you up to the border control point so maybe no need to catch yellow bus - I'm not sure though because I have never taken a taxi there

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Btw, the taxi should be able to take you up to the border control point so maybe no need to catch yellow bus - I'm not sure though because I have never taken a taxi there
    You'll still need to take a bus in the middle section across the border unless the Taxi has dual plates!

It is without doubt the easiest way from the airport. Taxi direct to Lok Ma Chau, bus across and then Taxi from Huanggang. Taxi China side should be no more than RMB70 depending on where you are going in Nanshan.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast