Japan or Borneo??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Movingin07

How hard is the Mt Kinabulu trek?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:

How hard is the Mt Kinabulu trek?
    Toughest hike I have ever done (and I hike every weekend, but am no spring chicken and not exactly super fit either to give you some context).

It's 2 days. You have to carry stuff but not too much as there is a hotel (well, lodge) for overnight between the two days. The main difficulty is the altitude, to be honest. You feel it on the last hour up the first day and all day the second day ... its HIGH.

It's also FREEZING cold on the top (literally, freezing, sometimes icy) so you have to copy with that.

But the real killer is the downhill on the second day. OMG - hours and hours of steep downhill steps (lots and lots of steps) going on and on forever. Knees are dead by the end.

Interesting though. Probably would have been improved by not pouring with rain at the top and having zero visibility!

I climbed Mount Toubkal in Morocco, it's 4,300m so I know what you mean about altitude. I also found the downhill the hardest part of that, my quads were in serious DOMS for about 5 days after! It sounds similar I think, would be interested to hear the view of someone who's done both.

Personally I find Japan quite difficult as a tourist - if you don't speak the language then it can be quite frustrating finding your way around. They don't do addresses in a way that is easy to understand and very few people speak English. The subway and train systems are fairly straightforward and labelled in English, but otherwise it is hard work. Not my idea of a relaxing holiday at all.

Wow..

MovingIn07 thats awesome.. thanks for the advice on Japan. We'll be going there in October when I could imagine it will be a bit chilly but not too cold (atleast thats what I hope!).

I did think japan would be the main choice out of the two and she is very much a culture buff.

If we did Japan, I think we'd break it down into 2 parts and spend a couple of nights in and around tokyo and then a night and couple of days in Kyoto. (i'm much more intersted in Kyoto, but its her holiday.. not mine )

I'll have a look at costs for different things to do in Japan over the next couple of days and see what I can find out... I'm happy to spend a fair bit on it as if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't of come to Hong Kong in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Personally I find Japan quite difficult as a tourist - if you don't speak the language then it can be quite frustrating finding your way around. They don't do addresses in a way that is easy to understand and very few people speak English. The subway and train systems are fairly straightforward and labelled in English, but otherwise it is hard work. Not my idea of a relaxing holiday at all.
    oooooh... This I hadn't thought about.. I might have to do a bit of research into this as well then.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Japan CAN be difficult - but with a bit of planning I find it's not that hard at all. (Been there 4 times now, don't speak a word of Japanese).

Some advice:
    * GET A GUIDEBOOK - they are really handy - I'm a Lonely Planet fan, but any good one will do. With maps and advice on finding places, you don't really need to ask.
    * GET A MAP (sometimes comes with the guidebook )
    * GET A RAILCARD - if you are going to travel between Tokyo and Kyoto, get a railcard. Google "Japan Rail Pass" and then read all about the different options. Not only do they save you money, they give you heaps of flexibility to run around all over the place and see what you like. The bullet train between Tokyo and Kyoto is fun - and free with Japan Rail Pass (except the really really fast one, but it only saves a few minutes).

More thoughts...
    * CARRY CASH - japan is much more of a cash-based society than many others - carry more cash than you would normally, you might need it to pay for hotels
    * If you are really worried about coping, book hotels ahead. Local hotels are great, clean and FUN (sleeping on futons on the floor ) but there are also plenty of international brand hotels too that have english speaking staff who will give you advice - just depends on what you want to do.

I found that preparation was the KEY to enjoying Japan - there are language barriers, but nothing like as hard as China and the Japanese people are much more willing (imho) to try and help you out even if they don't speak a word of English. Sign language is everything! Enjoy.