Japan or Borneo??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japan or Borneo??

I need to get a bit of advice and recommendations for where to take my partner for her Birthday.

I owe her quite alot as she's done so much to help me that I want to do something special for her that she's going to remember and really enjoy.

Japan and Borneo are places she has said she would love to go at some point, but I don't really know anything about either so I was hoping you could give me some advice, where to go, what to do, places to see and then I will have a look and see which is going to be more enjoyable.

Thanks.

That's a bit like asking whether you should take her to the opera or to the circus - what stuff does she like???

Borneo is great for outdoorsy persons - hike Kinabalu, visit the Orang Utan, go diving in Sipadan. Still a developing, at some places third-world kind of place. Haven't been to Japan yet (but rumor has it that it is no developing country anymore)

Also depends on budget I guess. If budget is a factor then you will get a lot more for your money in Borneo, ie you could probably get a flash hotel for a lot less than in Japan, if that's what you wanted to do.

I know if u want to see a different culture then japan is a great country to do do
    Posted via Mobile Device

How long do you plan to go for? As er2 said, the two places are pretty different! Japan is very modern and orderly, while Borneo gives you the chance to see more wilderness. Tokyo is a good place to start if you want to go to Japan, since it's the biggest city, and there's lots to do and see. The train system is also very convenient in Japan, so you can take the Shinkansen (bullet train) to Kobe or Kyoto if you want to visit some other places. On the other hand, as Beenieskis said, you can probably stay at a pretty nice resort in Borneo for not too much money and have a romantic time together going to the beach, hiking, diving, etc. It really depends on what you have in mind for your getaway.

Cheers everyone...

That's a bit like asking whether you should take her to the opera or to the circus - what stuff does she like???
    She's mentioned these 2 places in general conversation as places she would like to go, I get the impression that she likes the idea of going to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka more than Borneo but she likes the idea of seeing the Orang Utan more than anything Japan has to offer. Its a bit of a tricky one.

Also depends on budget I guess
    Budget isn't really a factor, as long as its not going completely over the top, i'd go a bit further for her as she deserves it. At the moment though, I cant seem to find any info on Borneo.. and japan isn't cheap.

I know if u want to see a different culture then japan is a great country to do do
    This is what I was thinking and I know she'd like to see this as well.

How long do you plan to go for?
    Were going for 5 days/3 nights, just a short break but we like to have things to do and places to see.. were not the kind of people that like to just chill on the beach or next to the pool all the time.. having this option as well though is not a bad thing

People who have already been to either of these places, how did you book it, through a website or through a travel agents?

Thanks.

kenbo23

Don't forget that Borneo is the name of the landmass, and is made up of 3 countries - Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. Therefore searching for info on those countries may help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    kenbo23

Don't forget that Borneo is the name of the landmass, and is made up of 3 countries - Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. Therefore searching for info on those countries may help you.
    Thanks Beanie..

I was aware of this, but had no idea which country is worth visiting, was hoping I could find good answers by googling Borneo and seeing what came up.. but it didn't work, Suprise Suprise! lol

I think Malaysia is the one that she's mentioned. I will do some research into all of them.

kenbo, just search the forum for Kota Kinabalu. Tons of advice for it here (or on tripadvisor) The Shangri La there is fantastic and very luxurious, though still payable. For this kind of 5 Star hotel you have to pay $$$$ in Japan.

If she is a culture buff, go for Japan. The culture there is easy to find and visit and much "grander". There is lots of culture in borneo too, but it's more mud huts than grand temples, if you see what I mean.

If she likes monkeys (the thing about the orangutangs!) then why not visit the snow monkeys in Japan - I did this - they were great! They bathe in hot pools and sit around in the snow (well, in winter anyway ). Cannot recall quite where they were - somewhere in the centre of Honshu (just look in an Lonely Planet, they had all the instructions for getting there, it was quite a trek).

Again, if she likes culture, go to Kyoto rather than Tokyo. Kyoto is fabulous - temples, great scenery, nice hotels, abit more compact than Tokyo !

If you like fabulous skylines, crowds, great public transport, cool stores - they Tokyo bests Kyoto.

If you like outdoors, then the 5-lakes region outside Tokyo (actually about half way to Kyoto) which has Mt Fuji is a great place to visit. Scenery, culture, fun stuff (don't miss the smelly volcanic areas or the fabulous glass museum) ...

I loved Kinabalu too and have hiked Mt Kinabalu - but as others have said, it's all a little more "difficult" than Japan, so if this is a reward holiday you might be better off in Japan despite the prices.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast