China - the most traditional village area close to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread

China - the most traditional village area close to Hong Kong?

Hi there. I am planning a trip to China but I was wondering which area close to Hong Kong has the most village like feel? Like something traditional and not too commercial? Also, is it possible to reach such an area by plane?

lijiang or yangshuo sound like what you are looking for

Lijiang and Yangshuo are both extremely commercial, although Lijiang is in a traditional style.

For less commercial, you got to go to less popular areas which involves more travelling and some Chinese skills are being adventurous. For example, Yongding in Fujian province is an overnight bus away, or head north of Guilin to Longsheng and Chengyang Bridge.

drumbrake, while i fully agree with you, i am getting the sense that the OP was 'saying non-commercial' but is actually not too adventurous (hence the plane and close to hk).

by the way, we went to guishou, san dou and from there up north into the mountain passes. very remote and beautiful and the locals were very nice and welcoming

Go with Lijiang. It's commercial but very well done - and the areas around it are very pretty and not that busy (provided you avoid the tour bus route!). Direct flights from Shenzhen - approx 2k. 2 hr flight. Great local hotels - very cheap (with western bathrooms!). Great for a long weekend.

I guess so. If someone has not been to China before, the shock after seeing some of the toilet facilities in less commercial places will probably cause constipation for a few days!

If you do go to Lijiang, try to stay in the old town, such as at the Moon Inn, and get up very early 6:30am, to walk the old town streets before the crowds.