Advise on travel to HK and Vietnam

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Matt,

I will start up a seperate thread for this as well...but interested in the ways to get from Hanoi to Hong Kong....Air, Train, Bus etc the airfares they quote us is around $549 and only have a choice of Cathay or Vietnam Airlines....when I times this by four us ...its expensive for such a short trip, hoping to get an overnight train.....do you what are the visa/passport restrictions for both Vietnam and China?

Looks like with our budget we must make a choice of doing either vietnam or China....how expensive is it in China to live daily? Does the language barrier become a pain?

Have you considered looking at round the world flight tickets? Buying these from the UK usually work out cheaper than x3 separate flights.

Hi Sazzy,
    We are trying to use a mix of airpoints and tickets...i.e. kids on airpoints we pay...problem is when you times it by 4 ...it becomes expensive...was hoping there maybe an overnight train from Hanoi to HK

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    12 days in 'Nam is a long time. You could spend 12 days really well in China.
    Not really, though tougher to negotiate in numbers. Sapa is amazing for trekking in the mountains. Dalat has brilliant moto tours through the easy riders that take you into the beautiful backcountry. Hanoi has that gritty old zone and Saigon, I'm not sure why it's so appealing. Missed Hoi An, and it's key. Take flights around. They're cheap and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by xena7051:
    Hi Matt,

I will start up a seperate thread for this as well...but interested in the ways to get from Hanoi to Hong Kong....Air, Train, Bus etc the airfares they quote us is around $549 and only have a choice of Cathay or Vietnam Airlines....when I times this by four us ...its expensive for such a short trip, hoping to get an overnight train.....do you what are the visa/passport restrictions for both Vietnam and China?

Looks like with our budget we must make a choice of doing either vietnam or China....how expensive is it in China to live daily? Does the language barrier become a pain?
    Probably cheaper to fly into Ho Chi Minh than Hanoi. I prefer Vietnam as I've found the people to be more friendly...

And I thought this was a new thread that I had missed ...

just thinking the same thing...

hey guys... these folks have come and gone about 4 months ago!