visa

Need some advice please. Going to Istanbul for a few days, and we can not work it out how to get a visa. The Turkish embassy gave us two different answers 1: get the stick on visa in Istanbul,
    2: sent us a 5 page to fill- out(even our bank statements etc. included???)
    We have Australian passports but we live here. Lonely planet's advise is to get the visa in Istanbul upon entry.
    Could someone please advise what is the correct way to approach this matter?

I'd take Lonely Planet's advice is if it's reasonably recent, particularly since it's not inconsistent with the consulate's. Turkey is not somewhere I've ever heard of as being difficult for visas for developed country passport holders.

Australian passport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3-month visa issued upon arrival for EUR 15

Thank you both !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Very grateful.

The way it works for UK and Canadian passports (and I think it should be similar for aussie passports, but you should double check in advance):

- Arrive into Turkey
    - Go to a booth wear you pay money and get a visa sticker
    - Stick visa in passport
    - Fill out immigration form
    - Go to passport control / immigration where you passport is scanned
    - Proceed to baggage pick up
    - Pick bags up
    - Bags may be checked by customs
    - You are now in Istanbul

I got a Turkish visa on arrival (some small sticker), but we're EU citizens (not sure if that matters). I remember it's basically cash only (but we didn't go to a major airport, just some touristy place), however we did end up paying with cc but it was very "complicated".