hotel recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

hotel recommendations

Can anyone make any recommendations or comment about past experience in terms of good hotels in HK?

OK, I know I need to be more specific, so here goes:

Occasion: plan on proposing to my gf (who will be visiting HK) that evening over dinner, so I want to stay the night in a nice hotel

Budget: well, the cheaper the better, but, I know what quality you usually get with "cheap". So, I'm looking to spend no more than maybe $1100/night max for 1, possibly 2 nights.

Location: either TST, maybe HK side, or NT (broad area, I know; you'll understand when you see my considerations so far)

Amenities: I guess... standard for the price: comfortable, king-size bed, clean, room service, spa, harbour view if by the water, etc. Since I live here and we're only spending 1-2 nights there, I don't need the extras like laundry, free breakfasts, free internet, wireless, etc, etc, as I'm sure those run up the price.

Ok, so here is what I'm considering so far (and, maybe the most important thing I am looking for from all of you out there are recomendations based on your past stays, family/friends visits, etc).

--TST--

the choice for TST that gives me a pretty good warm/fuzzy -- hotel nikko ($1107 per night for a std room, harbour view, king bed)

Marco Polo Hong Kong ($1225/night) -- the only good point is that its close to Harbour City, but then again, so are most of these hotels. To note, the other Marco Polos (Prince and Gateway) are considerably more expensive for some reason

--HK--

Novotel Century ($975/night) other than being in Wan Chai, I see nothing particularly special about this place, other than a decent rate.

To be honest, I've never stayed in any island-side hotels, so I have little idea what is good or bad

--NT--

probably my top choice if I decide not to stay in TST:

Gold Coast Hotel ($690/night for "Superior Sea View" std room; add on an extra $100-200 for balcony or deluxe balcony views)
    --I've already had one friend recommend this place as being well worth the price

That's all I have so far. Mind you... I'd have no fears about staying in the Mandarin or Shangri-la(s) or Peninsula except... I can't afford them. And, we're also taking a side-trip to Shanghai and I need to budget for that too. (Can anyone give me some pointers on Shanghai hotels too? There are SO many there that my head swims when I look on the net)

I won't say I'm desparate... but I'm getting desparate. She'll be here in mid-Nov and I've got so much to plan still (i.e. finding a ring, restaurant, etc, etc)

Help!

Thanks,
    L

p.s. If ANYONE can give me some good advice on this... I promise... the first/next time we meet in person... I'll make you the best bananas Foster you ever had... so good it'll make you wanna slap yo mamma.

So you need a reservation that's cancellable up til 10pm on the day of arrival, just in case she says no?

How about a not as expensive hotel, but an expensive dinner?

I don't think many hotels offer a seaview for under $1100. Perhaps the window is very small.

Levi,

Congrads! I would suggest that this is not an occasion to be too practical, go crazy, I say

In terms of your hotels quotes, I think you can do better than that. Go to one of the outlet of China Travel Agency (http://www.chinatravel1.com/index_big5.htm)
    and book the hotel. There are many outlets in HK or Kowloon. PM me if you need help. You have to pay in full in advance and no refund!

From my past experience, usually the rates for Marco Polo Prince at Harbor City are:
    HKD 680 std room, King size bed, no view, non-smoking room (book 1 week in advance)
    HKD 880 std room, King size bed, harbour view,non-smoking room (book 2 days in advance)

For HKD 1100 and above, you can get Conrad in Pacific Place. The room and view is much better.

Levi,

If you opt for an expensive restaurant and you like seaview, go to Aqua on 1 Peking road. Italian and Japanese Fushion cusine. Super sea view. Very romantic place. Budget for two would be HKD 1200 and up excluding drinks. I am sure your gf would like it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoegal
    Levi,

If you opt for an expensive restaurant and you like seaview, go to Aqua on 1 Peking road. Italian and Japanese Fushion cusine. Super sea view. Very romantic place. Budget for two would be HKD 1200 and up excluding drinks. I am sure your gf would like it very much.
    Concurred with Aqua - very nice restaurant. You'll have to talk to them and explain your circumstances to arrange the seaview.

I thought it's only HKD$380 per head (mininum charge). But then again, the portions are quite small so you'll probably end up spending about $1200 (excluding drinks)

Aqua... hey martyn, is that the same place as San Fransisco Steak House? Did you mention this restaurant to me before?

Blimey... I haven't really thought about the restaurant yet...but thanks for your suggestions. That goes for you too, Shoegal.

In terms of the restaurant that the whole marriage proposal (read:miracle or disaster) is going to occur, I was thinking one of the places in The Repulse Bay. Maybe The Verandah or something. Or perhaps the Chinese restaurant in The Peninsula. Spring Moon, I think it's called.

Anyone ever stay in the hotel nikko before? How about the Gold Coast Hotel?

For that matter, is there a big difference in quality in all the major 4 star hotels in TST? The different Marco Polos, the Sheraton (I think it's 4 star), hotel nikko, Kowloon Hotel, etc, etc? Or should I just pick one and not worry about it.

PDLM: if you jinx me, I'm going to make sure you don't see your next birthday. Ah, just kidding. If she says no... well, that's life. And it doesn't always come with a refund.

Shoegal,
    I'm confused... where did you get the rates that you mentioned in your post?

I'm looking at the CTS website now (from the link you posted) and Marco Polo Prince, Gateway, and Hong Kong start at $1380 per night.

Am I missing something?

p.s. I've been looking at hk-hotels.com and asiarooms.com. Never used them before, so can't say if the quoted rates are normal or not.

I suspect Shoegal is either way out of date (hotel rates are up about 50% in the last year) or has access to some extreme corporate rates through her employer.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    I suspect Shoegal is either way out of date (hotel rates are up about 50% in the last year) or has access to some extreme corporate rates through her employer.
    Unless the prices have gone up >50% in the last 3 weeks, my quotes are still good

Extreme corporate rates is a good idea though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast