Long weekend break in China in November

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Long weekend break in China in November

Hi,
    I am looking for some inspirational ideas for locations in China for a long weekend break from Hong Kong - 3 days in late November -
    the obvious city breaks would be Beijing and Shanghai, but what
    about Guilin - worth the trip ?

Any other suggestions would be very welcome !

Cheers !

Yunnan is nice, I was there once for a conference but there were snowy mountains and great scenery around. If anything, how about other locations in Asia, Singapore & Thailand can be cheap and interesting.

p.s. It sounds like you're a fellow Scotsman by the sound of your username.......

a friend just came back from Guilin/Yangshuo, and the rice terraces were empty (harvest is complete) and the river looked very low from her photos, so it may not be the most picturesque time to go (if that matters to you)...I would recommend Nanjing for a nice city break...more culture than Shanghai, cleaner, friendlier and compact...

Yunnan is fabulous. Lijiang is a great weekend destination - might be getting chilly now but then so is Beijing! Lijiang has cheap accomodation, extremely neat, tidy and tourist friendly, world heritage listed old town that just has to be seen to be believed, a number of great side trips out of town to Tiger Leaping Gorge and Snow Mountain. And direct flights from Shenzhen airport for around RMB3000 return.

3 days is too short for Yunnan. You need around a week (minimum) to cover Kunming, Shilin, Dali, Lijiang (and I do not include the south).

For 3 days: Beijing / Shanghai / Sanya / Nanjing-HuangShan / Hangzhou-Shuzhou / Qindao / Xiamen / Harbin / Xian-HuaShan...

Anyone have any comment on Fuzhou?

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    Anyone have any comment on Fuzhou?
    Xiamen and Gulangu island are good for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    3 days is too short for Yunnan. You need around a week (minimum) to cover Kunming, Shilin, Dali, Lijiang (and I do not include the south).

For 3 days: Beijing / Shanghai / Sanya / Nanjing-HuangShan / Hangzhou-Shuzhou / Qindao / Xiamen / Harbin / Xian-HuaShan...
    But you can easily just do one of them in a 3 day weekend. ie Kunming OR Shilin or Dali OR Lijiang. I've only done Lijiang so far .. plenty left to choose from for long weekends!

would also recommend lijiang.

the other obvious one is jiuzaigou if you like hiking in the nature. should be just about still ok for this time of the year.

If you like walking, Shenzhen has some fantastic parks eg Lotus Hill Park in the CBD. If you prefer hiking, Wutong Mountain is fabulous.
    Many of the five star hotels have some great special rates so you could stay somewhere good and go hiking every day. The parks are on the Map of Shenzhen you can buy in Dymocks in HK ,with a taxi guide etc. Shenzhen's close so no travel time and everything costs 20% compared with the same thing in HK so you can eat out in style. (Xpats bar in Futian is a great spot to kick off an evening with lots of Brits and Australians.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast