Cool things to do for visitors

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

gaddi's at the peninsula

As i am having some elderly visitors over next week,..who love walking...
    Does anybody know a good, easy going Trail (if possible) to walk.
    Thanks

Try walking on Lamma Island or Cheung Chau - and then finish for lunch at one of the seafood restaurants. If you eat at Rainbow restaurant on Lamma - then you get a free ferry back to the Island

I walked round the Chi Ma Wan peninsula on Lantau yesterday. It is a 3 hour walk (you can do an extra bit that takes the walk to 5 hours if desired).

It is a contour path so pretty much flat the whole way and well signposted. There are spectacular coastal views for most of the walk (start by overlooking Pui O beach framed by Sunset peak), then overlooking Cheung Chau and finally views of HK. The trees and bushes also change along the course of the walk with some shaded by bamboo trees.

Lovely!

Forgot to add, should you want, you can finish the walk at Chi Ma Wan ferry pier and get a ferry to either Mui Wo (Lantau) or Cheung Chau (10 mins either way) and get an experience of that island too!

hi!!could u tell me a bit more about this sepcific trail-sounds really interesting and juts the type the lazy me would want to do.. How do u get there in the first place etc etc..

Thanks for al the suggestions on trails,..wil for sure use them.
    Also bought some little books about trails in HK ( at Page one ?,...in Time Square 9fl). They have a few of them and they all seem to be quiet interesting. Somethiing for you maybe Jungli ?

There is a good hard back book to buy called 'Lantau Island, It's Beautiful Countryside' published by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation department.

It basically details all the hikes & walks on the Lantau trail - about 70km in total - broken up into a number of walks that can be attempted individually.

It is bilingual and has aerial photo's showing each section of the walk, as well as descriptions of the route, interesting items to be seen, flora of note and a guide to the length and difficulty of each section (including a profile of each walk so you can see how flat or hilly each walk is).

The final part of the book details some of the animals and insects you may encounter in Lantau. The book costs $100 which I think is a bargain.

I have seen some wonderful animals around the peninsula including the water buffalo that roam free, a 14ft python (wider than the road!), a wild boar, parakeets and a very large owl with huge eyes staring at me from the side of the road. I have also heard the barking deer at night, although never seen one. The site of the water buffalo taking their nightly swim along Pui O beach at dusk is a great way to enjoy the sunset.

To walk the Chi Ma Wan trail there are a few options. All of the options basically start by getting a ferry from central to Mui Wo. From Mui Wo you have a few options.

1. Bus to Pui O - walk through Ham Tin Village to the Shap Long Campsite (about 25 mins) and follow the signs there. The walk takes you in a big loop. There are a few different walks of varying difficulty.

2. Taxi direct to the Shap Long Campsite - takes around 10 mins from the ferry and costs around $40.

3. InterIsland Ferry from Cheung Chau or Mui Wo to Chi Ma Wan ferry pier or

4. Take the contour path from Mui Wo to Chi Ma Wan (takes about 1 1/4 hour)

I personally recommend doing the walk in an anti clockwise direction as you finish the walk by coming down to the Chi Ma Wan reservoir and you can jump in for a cool refreshing swim surrounded on all sides by lush green forest.

There are also some great campsites should camping take your fancy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3