How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    It's more when we travel - because we like to travel to china, and go "off the beaten track" where there are NO western restaurants and nobody speaks any english, so I just wanted a few words that would help. I tried looking up "boneless" in my chinese dictionary but it was not there! Hubby will not eat meat if it has bones in it - he takes one look and refuses to touch it.
    Why not use it as an excuse to have a meat-free holiday for your digestive system?

It's ok - we have mainland chinese girl who works for us so I can ask her to write it down. Should have thought of that before the last trip but I didnt realise quite how hard it was going to be!

I can not understand some people find it OK to slaughter one type of mammal for food but have qualms about killing another type; utter hypocrisy.

If you are going to eat meat in china - get used to the way they serve it or don't bother; in most places there are hotels with international cuisine or at least a place that serves up pseudo-western stuff if you can't stomach local food.
    If you really want Anglo-Chinese style food then head to UK, EU or USA where they have mastered making Chinese food that the barbarians can take. And very nice it is too. The Golden Hill 18, 67 and 116 were the best Chinese food I've ever eaten.

Most mainlanders can read traditional Chinese. The difference is not that huge for many characters. Some are exactly the same.

Besides, many input methods support the conversion between traditional and simplified Chinese. You can even do it on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot
    Well the locals will not know how to write in Simplified, only someone from the mainland would be able to write it. Its almost a night and day difference, sorta like Spanish and Portugese or Pelligrino and Perrier.

He/She could ask for Chicken Meat, or Duck meat only and if the place is willing, they would probably make them a custom dish. This all depends on how backwoods the place one is visiting is.

I had a business trip that took me to Gui Zhou. I was starving and the only restarant open at the time in that shit hole specialized in dog meat. Now I have no qualms about eating different things, but I put my foot down in regards to dog or monkey. Thanks but no thanks, I would rather starve.
    Last edited by pizzalover; 12-01-2010 at 11:30 AM.

?????? ???????? (i want/require to eat only meat, no bones/fat/gristle/tripe/insides or cantonese written transliteration "ngo yiu sik jing yuk, bak yiu ngat/fei/loi jong)

Please note the grammar is not 100% correct, but all chinese will understand, print and use for future reference...

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic
    ?????? ???????? (i want/require to eat only meat, no bones/fat/gristle/tripe/insides or cantonese written transliteration "ngo yiu sik jing yuk, bak yiu ngat/fei/loi jong)

Please note the grammar is not 100% correct, but all chinese will understand, print and use for future reference...
    Fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Fabulous!

ok, my mandarin is non existant thus i can not transliterate in mandarin dialogue.

(i want/require to eat only meat, no bones/fat/gristle/tripe/insides
    In return you will receive a plate of rice and green veggies.

In simplified Chinese it is ?????????/?/??. It sounds Cantonese, but all chinese should be able to understand it. The Pinyin (the number in the bracket is the tone): wo(3) yao(4) shi(2) zheng (4) rou(4), bu (2) yao(4) gu(3)/fei(2)/ nei(4) zang(4)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad
    In return you will receive a plate of rice and green veggies.
    Love rice and green veggies . That was what we ate mostly on our last trip .. usually looked at the "meat dish" and then ignored it.....

I guess I could just learn how to ask for green veggies (we got plain rice sussed already) but I live in hope that I can point at a meat dish and then add those words provided and get something!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast