How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Usually I find it quite simple.

In any meat dish the Chinese folks will instinctively go for stuff with bones, skin, ligaments etc. Often leaving the lean meat as it 'has no taste'. Perfect example being a dish of Hainan chicken where I end up getting all the choice white lean meat that none of the Chinese touch as they think it's boring. This happens every meal or banquet I have to go to and it amuses them no end that I only eat the stuff they would leave.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, look for dishes named like ?? (ji ding - diced chicken). The ? (ding) means diced. Most of the time there are no bones. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad
    Usually I find it quite simple.

In any meat dish the Chinese folks will instinctively go for stuff with bones, skin, ligaments etc. Often leaving the lean meat as it 'has no taste'. Perfect example being a dish of Hainan chicken where I end up getting all the choice white lean meat that none of the Chinese touch as they think it's boring. This happens every meal or banquet I have to go to and it amuses them no end that I only eat the stuff they would leave.
    Yes I love it when they carefully hide the chicken breast under all the 'good' stuff. Have shown my wife how to carve a chicken western style rather than just hacking it to bits but she can't see the point.

An Italian friend of mine loved to cook and he discovered that by leaving the bones in, the morrow would actually make the meat (especially chicken) tastier.

Maybe I am weird but I won't touch a steak or chicken that has NO bone. My favorite of course is T-bone.

It's not SO much that they leave all the bones in while cooking (no problem with this), it's more why leave them in to serve (small point), but WHY THE HECK take a meat cleaver to the bones and shatter them into tiny spikey sharp and impossible to pick out pieces when you serve a dish! That's our REAL beef.

If you travel anywhere you're soon going to realise that our modern, middle-class, Northern European aversion to bones, skin and fat is the cultural exception. The vast majority of people in the world regard 'real meat' with skin, bones, fat and all as more tasty. Even in western culture, the rise of supermarkets full of palid, de-boned, de-skinned 'meat' is a fairly recent phenomenon.

That's not to say I don't share your taste, I too was brought up in this weird modern meat culture, but we're the strange ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    It's not SO much that they leave all the bones in while cooking (no problem with this), it's more why leave them in to serve (small point), but WHY THE HECK take a meat cleaver to the bones and shatter them into tiny spikey sharp and impossible to pick out pieces when you serve a dish! That's our REAL beef.
    I hear you! I make a point of ordering mo gwut gai whenever possible. I don't mind full bones like wings and drumsticks, but the shards really annoy me, and the thought of sucking marrow as well...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My friends told me that my last lifetime must be a dog because I love to munch on bones. By the way, marrow is the most nutritious part because it has all the good stuff and no bad stuff in it. My dentist loves me because I always chew on bones and the business I've been bringing to him. Crazy huh?

Do NOT order chicken for hot pot, EVER! The tiny bone splinters gets mixed in with the other stuff in the pot, so you can be chewing on a piece of veggie and there will be a piece of chicken bone splinter in it and if you bite into it.... oh the pain! Not fun at all

Hhmm - as Mr. Liu my first mate in Chin asaid 'Learn to get a clever mouth - and your girlfriends will love you more also.'

I have no idea what he was on about obviously.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast