How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

ummmm... guilin and guangxi are in southern china... not northern china.

from my recollection, the spicier foods are from hunan and szechuan, no?

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

Indeed you are 100% correct.

My friend is genuine 100% gweilo who considers anything that is NOT Cantonese, northern cuisine. In a way, I can't blame him because I cannot distinguish all the dishes from various provinces so to make it easy for ourselves, we just grouped all NON-Cantonese dishes and called them "northern" cuisine. Sorry for the confusion.

that's him being ignorant, then... kind of like saying that french, german, spanish & italian food are the same as they are all from europe...

there are definite differences between the regional cuisines, even i can tell that (and i'm 100% gwei po).

if it's spicy food he wants, then find a szechuan or hunan restaurant... i've heard it'll blow your socks off!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are 100% correct.

However, according to the members of our tour group who had tried all the different GENUINE LOCAL cuisines from different provinces, all others were WORSE than GuangXi's food. All the Hunan and Szechuan food that we eat in San Francisco and in Hong Kong are NON-traditional local food. They were catered to our taste so that the restaurants could stay in business. Had they served the genuine food in their traditional ways, they would've gone under no in time.
    I guess it must be similar to SF restaurants would not serve salty fish, with thousand year old eggs, chicken feet, pig head, to their gweilo customers.....the same logic?

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    我要食正肉, 不要骨/肥/內臟 (i want/require to eat only meat, no bones/fat/gristle/tripe/insides or cantonese written transliteration "ngo yiu sik jing yuk, bak yiu ngat/fei/loi jong)
    I think 骨 (bone) is "G-wut" in Cantonese. and 不要 is "Bud yiu" which is a little more for when you are writing in Chinese...you can say "mmm yiu" which is "don't want"

If you want Pork say "Ju Yuk" (pig meat)
    Beef "Ngao Yuk" (cow meat)
    Fish "Yu peen" (fish slices) or just "yu" works

I think most "italian" restaurants in HK run on the same principle except reversed ... risoto is rebranded as "fried rice" and tastes much the same ... pasta will all sorts of weird fish .... odd stuff on pizza... all for the local HK'er taste

yep, i agree. for most restaurants, authentic is NOT the word of the day... staying in business is.

they need to have mass appeal or they will go under. that's why places like spaghetti house (my kids LOVE IT!) survive. the menu is designed to appeal to the asian population. there are a few italian restaurants around that do not fall into this "trap" but they are few and far between.

same thing goes for "chinese" food in many western countries. yes, you have authentic chinese food in places like Richmond, BC, but stray even to Vancouver proper and they become more scarce. other than the hkers that make vancouver their home, most canadians would rather have their meat without bones, skin, fat etc. so, to stay in business that's what the restaurants provide.

hubby and i make a point of trying "chinese" food in every city we visit. what constitutes "chinese" food in egypt & italy is VERY different to the real stuff here.

I can't imagine eating Chinese in Egypt.(g) In 1969, I tried a Chinese restaurant in Belfast, Northern Ireland. When the food came, I tried it but couldn't take another bite. I paid the bill and left. That was the ONLY Chinese restaurant so far in my life that I could not eat anything. OTOH, I tried several Middle Eastern restaurants in SF and London but the food was so dry that I kept gagging and couldn't swallow any food down.

the "chinese" food in alexandria was ummmm.... interesting. if i hadn't been in a "chinese" restaurant, i would never have known what it was supposed to be... but that's the fun of it!

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast