How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    Yeah I was raised in Cork. and yes, beautiful countryside, but very boring (in the 80s) and oh yeah, U2 overkill! All my friends from there have all moved to other countries so I haven't been back there since 1989. Would love to go back and see how it has changed though.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fortunately, Ireland hasn't changed as much as HK or China. I am confident that you'll find County Cork is pretty much the way you remember it.

I would give anything in this world to change HK back to the way it was in the 1960s......well, may be with a very few exceptions. Life was so much slower, easier and simplier. I miss my ole HK...

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    The local colleague will write it down in traditional Chinese whereas in China they use simplified Chinese. It will be as useful as George Bush Jr. or a 3 dollar bill.
    Actually if you ask a local fd / colleague nicely. They can help you to type it out on MS word in Traditional Chinese, just one button it can be changed all the words into Simplified. Do some copy & paste, you can have both on the paper.

Besides, most locals can read Simplified Chinese and some of them can write them too. So i found your Q quite interesting.

Hope it may help & hope you can enjoy some real nice BONELESS meat ASAP.

Although the restaurant food prices in HK are about 1/3 of that in the USA (not counting those restaurants in Wanchai, Central or TST), I found that the portions served in HK were also about 1/3 of that in the USA.

My favorite was a bowl of roast duck on rice. I couldn't believe how little meat (duck) the restaurants gave me - 5 or 6 very thin slices....
    I mean very thin slices usually with fat and skin attached. I tried eight different restaurants in HK, GZ, and Shenzhen and the portions were about the same. So I reckoned it must be the norm there. Here in the USA, when I ordered a bowl of roast duck on rice, I usually get 1/4 of a duck. There I got les than 1/8. I guess the prices are just commensurated to the portions.

Then there were other food that were cheaper, e.g. a bowl of won ton noodle; clay pot rice; both western and Chinese breakfasts....
    but definitely not Chinese BBQ items. Do you find it to be true also?

I'd say that assessment also aligns with the average weight of americans vs hk'ers. Doesn't bother me - I'd rather have a small portion for a lower price provided it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    Although the restaurant food prices in HK are about 1/3 of that in the USA (not counting those restaurants in Wanchai, Central or TST), I found that the portions served in HK were also about 1/3 of that in the USA.

My favorite was a bowl of roast duck on rice. I couldn't believe how little meat (duck) the restaurants gave me - 5 or 6 very thin slices....
    I mean very thin slices usually with fat and skin attached. I tried eight different restaurants in HK, GZ, and Shenzhen and the portions were about the same. So I reckoned it must be the norm there. Here in the USA, when I ordered a bowl of roast duck on rice, I usually get 1/4 of a duck. There I got les than 1/8. I guess the prices are just commensurated to the portions.

And we're a third of the size of your average american

Tourists etc usually only get the skinny ducks etc and if you're a regular and a generous tipper then you'll usually get the duck with the most meat.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    And we're a third of the size of your average american

Tourists etc usually only get the skinny ducks etc and if you're a regular and a generous tipper then you'll usually get the duck with the most meat.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How true, buddy!

When we went to our Reno, NV home - a more typical American society than San Francisco, we did notice that almost everyone was overweighed there.......many children included. Then when we went to the restaurant, we noticed how gigantic the hamburgers were. Double or triple meat patties, cheese on each deck, beacon, mushroom, tomato, lettuce, onion, pickles, the whole works with Mayo dripping down on the side. The burger must be piling up to at least 8 or 9 inches high. Nobody should consume that much food in one meal. Now even the fast food restaurants, e.g. McDonald's, Burger King, Jack in the Box, food are getting bigger and bigger also due to competition.

May be I should consider moving back to HK, so that I can lose some weight. While in HK for the 3 weeks, I had never done so much walking in my life. I didn't realize I was in such bad physical shape until we needed to go across the streets, we must climb up those damn stairs at the overpasses and some MTR stations.....worse in GZ and Shenzhen. I felt like I'd die of a heart attack each time I reached the top of the stairs. In the USA, we sure are living in a NOT very healthy society where our cars take us anywhere........no walking whatsoever. We must change our lifestyle somehow.

I forgot who said it, but it goes: Americans like things big, loud and fast.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8