How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How can I order MEAT in a Chinese restaurant?

Having got back from China recently, and tried hard to try out local restaurants while there, I think I need some advice....

Irrespective of how I order (english menu, point at pictures, point at food), hubby and I singularly failed to obtain any MEAT.

We had bones. We had skin. We had mountains of fat. We had assorted gristle and other nasty pieces of ex-animal. But very little MEAT.

How the heck can we get meat? Mainly chicken for me - hubby likes pork and beef ... is it that small local restaurants just don't get the best bits of the animal? they go off to fancy restaurants? or what?

Are there any specific dishes that require nice, clean chunks of bone-free and skin-free meat that we can order and know more or less what we will be getting?

All thoughts appreciated!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 08-01-2010 at 05:18 PM.

The lady wants some meat! Heh.

Yeah, I hate all the ancillary parts too. Can't help you though.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Chinese people like the bones; you've seen them chewing on them. Plus the fat adds to the flavour.

The only thing I can immediately think of is gi-kuh (chicken balls, no bones).

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 08-01-2010 at 05:45 PM.

I have the opposite problem when I go to China. I can't get anything without meat in it.

just ask for 'mo gwut' (boneless) and wait for the response...as to skinless/fat-less, i can't help you there!

Many meat dishes whose Chinese names end with ? or ? (both often translated as "ball" in English) don't contain any bones. For example, chicken balls are called j? qi in Mandarin and gai1 kau4 in Canto.

Last edited by geo-seb; 08-01-2010 at 06:08 PM.

If you try to eat in restaurants serving more Northern fare, e.g. Beijing, Dong Bei (North East) etc. you'll probably have a better chance of getting what you're after...

Last edited by Stoob; 08-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.

i order my chicken rice "gai hong" (chicken breast) "mo gwut" (no bones) never any problem.

goo lo yuk (s&s pork) "mo gwut" will usually get you the meat without bones

Get used to it. 1.3 billion people ain't going to change their habits for a gweiloh or two.

the meat in china us gross. most chicken meat is pink and wet and rubbery. the beef and pork are rubbery and thin. the only time I've had good meat in china is when I order a Chinese soup and they empty the contents of soup on a plate. nicely stewed tender meat....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast