Japan for 5 days

Closed Thread

Japan for 5 days

If you had 5 days to spend in Japan what would your itinery be? We've never been before, so all ideas are apprectiated.

Thanks.

Do you like Japanese food? It's easy to spend an entire five days travelling through one city and eating a bunch of food, or going to Tokyo/Kyoto and then travelling to an onsen for a few days, then heading back. If you go during April, you could go see the cherry blossom trees bloom and picnic with the office workers and families in the parks.

Personally I'd spend most of my time visiting friends, going to live shows (with or by said friends), and eating food (with or without said friends), because that's my favorite thing to do there. Eel at an eel-only restaurant, fresh octopus balls at the parks, bean-filled fish cakes fresh off the skillet.... :9~~

Tokyo and Hakone (2 nights) should fill 5 days easily. Did that a few years back, Tokyo was exciting and Hakone just beautiful.
    Google "Hakone Pass" if interested, it includes all transportation from Tokyo and back and around Hakone, as well as discounts to museums etc.

Last edited by Raccon; 10-01-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Would you do that over Kyoto?

I've done both hakone and kyoto - and no, for my first trip, I would do kyoto. I'd fly into tokyo, do 2 days in tokyo and take the bullet train to kyoto and do the rest there, flying home out of kyoto. that should be plenty. you might see fuji from the train too.

Go snowboarding in Shinga Kogen: 21 snow resorts, one snow pass ticket required for all the resorts.. 1.5 hours on the bullet train from Tokyo..

Would the airport for Kyoto be Osaka?

Osaka's Kansai International Airport is the closest international airport to Kyoto

For doing it last month, I strongly recommend Kyoto, but Tokyo as well.
    Hakone is nice for sure, but it will really depend on the weather. When I went there it was cloudy and we could not see Fuji san and mountains around... I liked Kamakura (1hour from Tokyo) and Nikko (2hours)

Kyoto on the other was just beautiful, very quiet... we stayed there over 1 week end.

Kyoto is 2hours from Tokyo by bullet train, I guess it's much closer from Osaka.

But if you really want to "feel" Japan, Tokyo is a must, and you could really enjoy 3days with continuous astonishment!! Shinjuku, Akihabara, Shibuya, Asakusa for more traditionnal stuff... And yeah, don't forget to eat! Japanese food is various and DELICIOUS!

I had a blast there! Japan is really unique on earth