Taking Cash into the Philippines

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There's nothing dodgy about Western Unioning to yourself; people do it all the time. It's not that expensive - less than HK$100 in fees for that much (which is less than a bank transfer). But as you say, carrying US$1600ish isn't that big a deal. My limited experience is that the changers at the airport are pretty good - you might get an extra 0.25/$ if you shop around, but is it really worth much of your time to save 400 pesos?

According to the helpers, there are no charges, if you use money changers at Worldwide House. Plus the rate they offer is better.

Last time I tried WU charged HK$12 for every HK$10,000, and their rates were marginally less good than I could get by inter-bank wire transfer. But it was a while ago, so it could all have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Last time I tried WU charged HK$12 for every HK$10,000, and their rates were marginally less good than I could get by inter-bank wire transfer. But it was a while ago, so it could all have changed.
    Minimum charge of HK$28 up to HK$10,000. Not sure above that.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    but is it really worth much of your time to save 400 pesos?
    No - probably not! Thanks.

Western Union is pretty awful for their charges and expenses.

I remember watching part of the Senate Enquiry on the ZTE scandal when a consultant was paid his very large (US$100k+) fee in Shenzhen and making the declaration had "escaped his mind".

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Western Union is pretty awful for their charges and expenses.
    Why? I think HK$28 is reasonable.

Western Union's fees in Hong Kong are very low, not least because the market is so competitive. But it's very market specific - in other places they are indeed very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Why? I think HK$28 is reasonable.
    Also look at the exchange rates they impose. I had to send a wire to my brother in Latin America once (admittedly from the UK). All-in after fees and an exchange rate spread you could drive a US army convoy through, they scalped me for about 7.5%-10%.

Western Union is a bit expensive with their spread. Not sure which ones the helpers use, but there are dozens of local companies / banks that do money transfers / exchange out of Worldwide house.