Like Tree4Likes

Delhi

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Delhi

Want to spend about 15 days in/around Delhi. Would love ideas how to spend them, keeping in mind that my wife & I would like to minimize travelling time. How about accomendation in Delhi-something safe, comfortable, convenient, interesting & reasonable.
    Lou

Just stay in Delhi? It has some sights (Red Fort), but most people would head into Rajisthan and tour around there for a week - Agra (in Uttar Pradesh), Jaipur, Jodphur , Jaisalmer and maybe Udaipur.

Quote Originally Posted by lslvip:
    something safe, comfortable, convenient, & reasonable.
    Lou
    Are you sure you want to go to India for a holiday?

It is a very INTERESTING place, to be sure, but it's challenging - both logistically and mentally. That's part of the appeal (IMHO) but it makes a "safe, comfortable and convenient" holiday somewhat meaningless....
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 21-01-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Are you sure you want to go to India for a holiday?

It is a very INTERESTING place, to be sure, but it's challenging - both logistically and mentally. That's part of the appeal (IMHO) but it makes a "safe, comfortable and convenient" holiday somewhat meaningless....
    Probably you are saying this because you have had a bitter experience. But that's what it is, any country can be good bad and ugly experience. I don't know where you went and what you did and what unsafe, uncomfortable and inconvenient things happened to you. But, I know lot of non-Indians who have had one of the best holidays of their lives, probably that's why tourism is such a huge business in India.

But, then again some ppl aren't happy in 7 star hotels and some find happiness under a tree, perspective.

To the OP, an American friend of mine who visited Delhi few months ago stayed at this place and absolutely loved it - Delhi Bed and Breakfast - Safe for women.

I'm sure you can have a quite lovely holiday in India if you never leave your 5-star hotel or resort. Some of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in have been in India. But walk outside the door, or even look out of the window in the car on the way from the airport, and you can see poverty the likes of which is rare anywhere else in the world. How anyone can have a "comfortable" holiday without looking around and seeing some of the challenges of India and not confronting the poverty, wealth disparity etc is beyond me. But sure, you can do it. What would be the point though?

Thx to all. I have travelled extensively around the world & am confident that we will have a great vacation in India. Was looking for first-handed experience.

I've also had great holidays in India, but the poverty which you see is undeniable. Also, I think India has more than it fair share of scammers - on arrival at Delhi airport you really do need your wits about you.

Quote Originally Posted by lslvip:
    Thx to all. I have travelled extensively around the world & am confident that we will have a great vacation in India. Was looking for first-handed experience.
    That's what people are offering. They have told you that in their experience it is dirty, unpleasant and disturbing in the amount of very obvious poverty there is. How can you be confident about something which you apparently have no knowledge?

I concur to a large extent - when in "tourist areas" expect to be hounded incessantly by beggars when you walk in the street, be on constant lookout for being scammed.

And 15 days in Delhi alone seems a long time to me when you have no apparent links there and no apparent clue what to do. Get out into Rajasthan for some of it. Go to Agra if you must see the Taj Mahal, but apart from that the place is an absolute hole.

I would recommend travelling by train - that was one environment where I didn't feel hassled at all, even in the relatively cheap seats (the cheapest with air-con), and I always find trains a great way to see a country.

It is a fantastic country but COMFORTABLE and CONVENIENT are not terms I would use to desribe India (Delhi).

Colorful, chaotic, friendly, in your face, aggressive, polluted, poor, exhuberant are more terms that comes to my mind.

Had always a great time there but it wasn't realxing holidays (Jaisalmer aside maybe) - it was great experiences and contact though! and the monuments / sights are breathtaking for sure.

Food is awesome too.

I just got back this morning from my second trip to Delhi and I can tell you I was happy to be back in HK. ofcoure my trips are business so I really can't speak for a vacation but I think PDLM is right on. The 5 stars in Delhi are great but the 5 star Best western in Mordabad was a 2 star at best. Just my opinion

Last edited by dannycat; 22-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast