trip to thailand

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

borneo1dergirl - THANKS, Im staying at the Patong beach. Heard its the busiest out of all other beaches. I cant wait to go
    whoa...only $120 to hire a Jeep...i should get practice on driving then!not sure if Angiebaby80 will be brave enough to sit in the jeep tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Mina917:
    not sure if Angiebaby80 will be brave enough to sit in the jeep tho!
    i'm a thrill-seeker..bring it on!!

Hey! The idea of renting a jeep was great!! Any more reco-s for to-dos in Phuket? We're staying in a resort called Andaman White Beach (www.andamanwhitebeach.com). It's a kind of a private beach but, heard it's beautiful!

OK, lemme list some Q's I have:
    Any interesting shopping in Phuket (not something I can buy in HK and every other hip city in the world!)

Should I carry the Thai currency from Hong Kong itself (ie. should I get the conversion done here and go) or, should I get it done there, at the Phuket airport? Where will I get a better rate?

While coming back from Phuket, we might stay for a day or two in Bangkok. Everyone says shopping in Bangkok is really cheap...any suggestion for where to go for cheap, fun shopping?

Thanx for any suggestions/ advice!!

Koh Samet- about 3 hours bus/ferry from BKK

small island in the gulf of Thailand, easy to get to from Bangers.

no comment on lady boys, old men etc.

good spot to relax for a couple of days.

Phuket

Quote Originally Posted by Mina917:
    Any of you guys been to Phuket??
    Im going there in 2 weeks and would like to know if there is any cool places worth checking out.
    Alittle bit up market but the Sunday brunch at the relatively new Twin
    Palms hotel - Surin -is the hip place to hang out for Phuket expats

Need to book in advance as busy all Sunday afternoon and usually an offer
    free bottle of wine (aussie) 0r 3 buffet for 2 - good quality all u can eat
    buffet.

Lotus rest on beach a must for an evening - near Banyan Tree or cheaper
    option an beach near Sheraton.

Jeeps are cheap - get your UK fix with a trip to Tesco or Boots (sad)
    roads are good but mad Thai drivers

Appreciate any other insights as will go again next month

Quote Originally Posted by rapid_jap:
    Hey! The idea of renting a jeep was great!! Any more reco-s for to-dos in Phuket? We're staying in a resort called Andaman White Beach (www.andamanwhitebeach.com). It's a kind of a private beach but, heard it's beautiful!

OK, lemme list some Q's I have:
    Any interesting shopping in Phuket (not something I can buy in HK and every other hip city in the world!)

Should I carry the Thai currency from Hong Kong itself (ie. should I get the conversion done here and go) or, should I get it done there, at the Phuket airport? Where will I get a better rate?

While coming back from Phuket, we might stay for a day or two in Bangkok. Everyone says shopping in Bangkok is really cheap...any suggestion for where to go for cheap, fun shopping?

Thanx for any suggestions/ advice!!

Best to use Cirrus or similar card for up to date rates and no rip offs
    lots of machines - best to use in banks and not 7/11 types

Be very careful to count correct after exchange if using local
    exchange best rates quoted are usually dodgy esp Patong 900 per 1000

If you book jeep at airport - slightly more expensive but usually
    newer - saves you 2 days rent i,e, to drive to hotel and back to airport
    as transport is usually 600 o/w to Andaman and rental 800-900/day

Wish I got your reply before leaving, cokey! Would have known about Cirrus then. Had to do all currency exchange stuff at Patong We used Western Union, though. However, we did feel all the money exchange counters were actually ripping people off their bucks!! We got an average of 4.93 Baht per HKD....guess that's bad...right?

We rented a 2-wheeler, too cheap and great fun! Andaman was great, very quiet and beautiful. We later moved to Patong and enjoyed the liveliness there!!...and of course, the AMAZING bargains we got!! I never had so much fun bargaining! Would recommend all to bargain for upto 60% discount, which is what I got!!

Phuket is one of the best getaways from HK, I would say!

hmm

'how about renting a scooter?..maybe we can use mina's uk license to rent one.....?!'

Angie ,you dont need license to rent scooter in phuket .I rented and rode harley davidson few days without it .But you need to show them 1 minute trial that you really can ride .

just came back from chiang mai, you must be back already though. anyway, for those thinking of going, elephant ride was fun. it ended up costing my wife and i 1500 baht for a whole day tour. transportation from the hotel to the elephant farm, ride on the elephant, a boring ox cart ride, buffet lunch and a raft down the river. we also went to a orchid farm/butterfly farm which was a waste of time. it was fun and well worth the money.
    do lots of shopping and barter hard. also enjoy the many massages!