Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Urz

Where can I buy a Japan Rail (JR) pass?

Closed Thread

Where can I buy a Japan Rail (JR) pass?

I've called a few places from the list on the JR website but they don't sell them anymore. Anyone who has recently bought one will save me lots of calling.

Thanks lots,

Catherine

I haven't done this, but absent better advice I would go to the office of JTB, which is largely owned by Japan's rail companies.

From JapanRailPass.net

JTB Inc., (Hong Kong) Ltd.
    SUITES 710-716,
    7/F, WHARF T&T CENTRE,
    7 CANTON ROAD,
    TSIM SHA TSUI,
    KOWLOON,
    HONG KONG

TEL 2734-9288
    FAX 2722-7300

If you're getting there on JAL or ANA then they can apparently sell you one as well.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-02-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Most of the travel agencies sell JR pass (esp those specialize in Japan tour), you may check out some small travel agencies, they usually give a discount of 5 - 10% off.

I bought on for myself lately....got a discount of 8% off ..but it doesnt have an English name....can let u know if you are interested

I think you can also buy them online from non-HK places and have them posted. THat's what I did when I lived in NZ - purchased the aussie one and had it posted over (there was nowhere convenient in NZ at the time).

i've checked a few online places and they are much more expensive than the pass itself.

coffeesh - yes i'd be interested in the place where you bought yours. can you tell me the name or PM me? even if the name isn't english i have some friends who will be able to help me find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urz:
    i've checked a few online places and they are much more expensive than the pass itself.

t.
    Worth knowing. My aussie one was about AUD10 more than the pass, but that was just "post and packaging". Had never heard them being discounted before - I wonder how they can do that! But as I will certainly get another one if we go again, worth knowing where.

sent you PM coz they don't allow me to post names

Thanks all!

I ended up going to EGL Tours, 7/F Hang Lung Centre, Paterson Street, Causeway Bay (near Exit E) Phone: 2919 7614
    EGL Tours Company Limited

The website is Chinese only but the travel agents speak good English.

They give 4% discount (regular price is Y28,300 = HK$2455 at interbank rate, I paid $2367 which is just under 4% discount). I paid for the pass today and collect on Friday afternoon.

I also found another travel agent (www.ses.com.hk) which offers more discount but is in Mongkok and I couldn't get there during business hours (they are closed over CNY and I leave next week).

Last edited by Urz; 10-02-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Street name in the address would help...
    drumbrake and MovingIn07 like this.