Like Tree1Likes

Great Barrier Reef

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great Barrier Reef

In my never-ending quest to vacation with toddlers, can I assume the Great Barrier Reef has to be dived? Or at least snorkeled? So no glass bottom boats nor submarines for the toddlers to see it?

There are glass bottomed boats and semi-submarines - depending on where you go.
    Family Great Barrier Reef Cruises and Day Trips from Cairns and Port Douglas, Australia - Cairns Attractions
    http://www.greatbarrierreefinfo.com/...onSubjectID=85

On certain islands, you can walk on parts of the reef at low tide. (although, obviously these are not the best parts)

Last edited by Crocodile; 09-02-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Sleuth likes this.

Well, that certainly all sounds great. Thanks for the help!

Is there a less-expensive way to get from their to the rock? All the flights I looked at yeserday, from various Aussie cities, cost almost as much as the plane from HK to Aussie. And also looked at the Ghan, but also expensive.

Last edited by Sleuth; 10-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.

There are limited flights and airlines to Uluru. Also, Alice Springs is a couple of hour drive to Uluru, so be careful with that. You have to understand the distance involved also - it is a long way from anywhere. Oh, and there is not much there - yes, a massive rock, but not much more. So it can be a very expensive two day visit. Use webjet.com.au to search for cheap internal flights.

I would recommend doing something cheaper and more fun.
    Try Melbourne - depending on the time of year (weather) it can be awesome and there is some very scenic places to drive/visit also.

Toddlers?? What about Dubbo and the Great Western Zoo.. You can sleep overnight at the zoo....a little taste of the outback //kind of ..sort of..well not really but the kids will love it

Hard to be this close to Australia and pass on the reef and the rock. Plus the rock is in the Outback, which is what most people think of when they think of Australia. That or wine.
    If we had the vacation time, and its partner "money", we would spend a ton of it in Australia.
    My wife sort of had the same opinion about the rock. She asked me what else there was to do there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Hard to be this close to Australia and pass on the reef and the rock. Plus the rock is in the Outback, which is what most people think of when they think of Australia. That or wine.
    If we had the vacation time, and its partner "money", we would spend a ton of it in Australia.
    My wife sort of had the same opinion about the rock. She asked me what else there was to do there.
    The outback starts about an hours drive west of Cairns, so you don't have to take a flight to the middle of Australia to experience it, but the outback is full of emptiness, with a few sights and experiences to be seen, but they are few and far between. The Ghan is great, so I hear, but it is not something you can just do in a few days. You could drive from Darwin to Uluru, but that would take over 5 days if you want to see and do things along the way.

The reef is great, and the rock is, well, it's just a rock in the middle of nowhere. There is plenty to do around Cairns, including Port Douglas, the Daintree Rainforest and the beaches and reefs. If you haven't spent time in Melbourne, do it - it is a great place to holiday. An alternative would be the Sunshine Coast - beaches, culture, Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin's zoo) and a relaxed time. Probably not ideal in winter though.

I lived in Uluru (it was still officially called Ayers Rock then) and worked as a massage therapist in one of the newly completed resorts (sheraton)..On our days off (we got 1 a week) we usually went bush walking or went into alice (overnighted as it is 2 hours drive)..while technically there is not much to do there if you live there as a visitor there is some great sights to see. KIngs Canyon is a great day trip and just to have romantic picnics in the middle of no where is simply amazing. It's a funny quirky little place with a bloody big rock but definitely worth seeing if you can spare the time and the money (not cheap to get there,) I also highly recommend Broken Hill.

There's a Sheraton in Uluru?
    The airport is still Ayer's Rock.
    Sometimes the middle of nowhere can be nice. Especially coming from HK.

it was the sheraton and four Seasons in the mid 80's. they were the first two hotels built at the resort when it was developed. But not sure what the actual main resorts are called now or who bought them out.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast