Like Tree1Likes

Guilin and Yangshuo!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guilin and Yangshuo!

Hi Guys,

I am planning a small trip to Guilin and Yangshuo... may be travelling alone if my friend cannot make it in a few weeks.

Is it safe for a foreign female to travel to this part of China alone? I do not speak Mandarin or Cantonese so will this be a problem if I am travelling alone? I hope to catch a train to Shenzen and then from there to Guilin, to connect with a coach to Yangshuo.

Many thanks in advance for the advice and your time!

I was there in November and they don't speak English in general.

I think more people speak English in Yangshuo than most other places in China. It has quite a well developed tourist infrastructure, and most western tourists who go there speak little or no Chinese, and read none. You will find less English speakers in Guilin, but it is still easy enough to get around.

In terms of safety, as long as you use your common sense, and beware of pickpockets around the stations and on arrival in Yangshuo, then you will have few problems.

Catching the T38 from Shenzhen to Guilin is a good way to go. However, the bus to Yangshuo can be a pain- watch out for thieves and the bus sometimes stops outside of the town leaving the foreign passengers at the mercy of touts. See Yangers for some good information.

For getting tickets for the Shenzhen - Guilin train, either get them in HK beforehand from CTS and pay HK$100 commission, or take a risk and arrive early in the afternoon in Shenzhen. Write down what you want, preferably in Chinese, but English / pinyin is better than nothing, as the ticket seller probably won't speak English. Having a guidebook with Chinese script helps a lot.

Get some Rmb first from an ATM in Hong Kong.

Last edited by drumbrake; 09-02-2010 at 09:42 PM.

I hope to catch a train to Shenzen and then from there to Guilin, to connect with a coach to Yangshuo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If I were you, I would skip the regular coach for local people. We made a mistake of taking a regular coach from Guangzhou to Conghua (75 km). The bus was old and uncomfortable. People would bring on chickens and other domestic animal on board. When it was full, people started sitting on the floor. Worst yet was, a lot of the passengers were obviously from the rural part/villages of China and weren't accustomed to riding on buses. They got "car sick" and were throwing up left and right and the entire bus stank! Never again.

We ended up spending $200 RMB to hire a taxi on our return trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:
    They got "car sick" and were throwing up left and right and the entire bus stank! Never again.
    If you are sitting towards the back of a bus near an open window, it's wise to pay attention to what is happening at the front. If someone sticks their head out of a window and throws up, shut your window fast to avoid the splash!

The chickens and ducks as travelling companions are a pain at the time, but make good memories.
    Renotommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    If you are sitting towards the back of a bus near an open window, it's wise to pay attention to what is happening at the front. If someone sticks their head out of a window and throws up, shut your window fast to avoid the splash!

The chickens and ducks as travelling companions are a pain at the time, but make good memories.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hehe, that kind of memories, I can go without bud!

OP:

FYI -

If you book 1 or more weeks in advance, you'll be charged the advertised price of $499 HKD. However, my partner and I booked late, so there was a $100 HKD surcharge/person added on to our bill.

Last edited by Renotommy; 09-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Yes, as drumbrake says, Yangshuo entirely revolves around the western tourist/backpacker market and English is widely spoken.

Yangshuo is full of pizza joints and backpacker bars to the extent that tourists from other parts of China often visit Yangshuo in order to experience the 'western' lifestyle there.

I wanted to go there during CNY as well....however, I think the train ticket might have been sold out coz workers are going home for CNY ....besides, the weather forecast says that it will be raining in Guilin during CNY....so, maybe you have to consider again before you head to shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by coffeesh:
    I think the train ticket might have been sold out coz workers are going home for CNY ....
    I think it will be OK to buy tickets during CNY as long as your trip is during Feb 14th to Feb 22nd. Workers usually take the train before or after CNY, so actually you can find a lot of seats during the festival.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast