Like Tree20Likes

CNY - Arrive at HKIA 3 hrs early?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

CNY - Arrive at HKIA 3 hrs early?

"Due to New Year peak travel, please check in online for CX999/12Feb and arrive at the airport at least 3 hours before departure.

Cathay Pacific Airways" - that's the message I got for Cathay Pacific today.

I've checked in online already. I always do. But do I really need to arrive 3 hours early for the flight as well? What am I going to do at the airport for 3 hours? Besides spend money at the restaurants and bars there I suppose...

Do you need to drop off bags or are you flying to the States or another destination with added security? Things may be a bit of scrum there, but three hours does sound a tad excessive.

3 hours? Are they going to turn HKIA into a quasi-USA airport?!

As already mentioned by fth, are you flying to the USA?

I am flying out tomorrow afternoon also and I don't plan on being there any earlier than I normally am. I have flown out of HKIA for CNY before, along with other peak times and it has all flowed quite well - never had a bad experience of really long lines.

They move pretty quickly, so if you're already check-in online and as long as your bags are dropped off approx. 1.5 hrs before scheduled departure you should be alright.

That is, assuming we're all on smart ID cards here!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Not going to US. Going to Europe. I do have the smart ID card, so the only queues will be for bag drop and security check. I was planning to get there an hour to 90 minutes beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Do you need to drop off bags or are you flying to the States or another destination with added security? Things may be a bit of scrum there, but three hours does sound a tad excessive.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On our way back to the US, our layover in Tokyo was 10 hrs. So your 3 hr wait shouldn't be bad. Furthermore, in the last 1.5 hrs prior to our flight departure, the immediate gate area was evacuated and cordoned off by airport security so that every passenger and carry-on was to be re-screened and searched again before readmitting to the gate area.

Oh, what a hassle.
    Last edited by Renotommy; 11-02-2010 at 05:45 PM.

It's a hoax, there is no flight CX999 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    It's a hoax, there is no flight CX999 tomorrow.
    I changed the flight number.

We were going to send you off with a huge "farewell party" at the airport tomorrow. What to do now?

Except for no check-in bags, I would say that arriving an hour before scheduled departure is cutting it fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast