Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By Raccon

suggestions for four days in May?

Closed Thread

suggestions for four days in May?

Can anyone suggest where I can take my folks for a few days in mid May?

Does anywhere tick all these boxes: not a city, not just beaches, nice scenery, good (dry) weather, decent hotel, and within a max of four hours travel time. Preferably a mixture of walking, jungle, history, and a beach!

I was thinking of Hanoi/Halong Bay and Guilin/Yangshou but both are particularly wet according to various websites

Any suggestions? Laos?

Kota Kinabalu.

Weather should be dry in May - as described below (pasted from another website):

Wet season and dry season are 2 sub-season that divide Sabah’s perpetual summer, although rain really can be expected year round. Wet season typically runs from October to March, with April to September labeled as the dry season.

But even when it rains, hardly ever a whole day is spoiled, as downpours last 1 or 2 hours and can most often be expected in the afternoon or evening. Rain also livens up the jungle as it energizes the forest critters . After all, Borneo is a rain forest.

If cost is not a problem and you want more culture, Japan is also an option - not found great beaches in Japan but it has everything else.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 18-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    leedseagle likes this.

I forgot - not KK. We're going there in April!

Japan's an idea. Will have a look at flights - I assumed it was farther away than it appears to be!

Taiwan may fit the bill, in particular the East Coast. Visit Hualien and from there take a trip into Taroko Gorge for spectacular scenery and walking. I suggest to rent a car and drive in during the week, in fact you can cross over to Taoyuan via the highest (public) road in Taiwan (check first if it's open, landslides are common inside the gorge).

If you can afford it the Grand Formosa Taroko Hualien inside the gorge would be a nice place to stay; cheaper accommodation can be found at the entrance to the gorge (the name escapes me) or in Hualien town. The Ocean Park might be worth a visit, too, in particular if you have kids.

Fulong Beach up North is easily reached from Taipei, else head down to Kenting in the South but the weather will be more tropical (read: more humid) there.

Last edited by Raccon; 18-02-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    leedseagle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    Can anyone suggest where I can take my folks for a few days in mid May?

Does anywhere tick all these boxes: not a city, not just beaches, nice scenery, good (dry) weather, decent hotel, and within a max of four hours travel time. Preferably a mixture of walking, jungle, history, and a beach!

I was thinking of Hanoi/Halong Bay and Guilin/Yangshou but both are particularly wet according to various websites

Any suggestions? Laos?
    Maybe Khao Yai National Park in Thailand? It is a beautiful natural area (considered one of the best national parks in the world) with a few accomodation options... easily accessible from Bangkok (couple of hours drive) and you could probably just about squeeze in a trip to one of the beaches (maybe Koh Samet) on the way back depending how much travel you wanted to do. You could easily spend 4 days in the park alone though - it is huge.

i may travel to china during the easter

BTW, there will be total 5 days public holiday in april
    (4 days for easter + 1 day for ching ming festival)

huh? easter is only 2 days (friday and monday) plus ching ming (tuesday). If you work saturdays you'd be stuffed!

You can consider Penang.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    huh? easter is only 2 days (friday and monday) plus ching ming (tuesday). If you work saturdays you'd be stuffed!
    Saturday 3 April is a 'general holiday' in Hong Kong. See GovHK

Taipei and Taroko Gorge recommended!! Hanoi and Halong Bay is great as well but vietnam can be very intense if you happen to own a white face (hawkers, pushers, pimps galore). Don't let that discourage you though Hanoi has it's charm but can be overwhelming, nothing like the mayhem of Saigon though. Taiwan i have found to be super chilled out and taroko gorge has some breathtaking scenery.
    Posted via Mobile Device