Like Tree2Likes

japan rail pass vs. individual tickets

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by refugees:
    What about ONE WAY Kyoto-Hakone-Tokyo? Is it cheaper with JR pass or individual ticket? I flying into Osaka n fly out from Tokyo.
    Which is not a single train ticket. I would assume it includes:
    osaka airport - a hotel in osaka
    osaka to hakone
    hakone to tokyo
    tokyo to tokyo airport

possibly with a few shorter within town etc trips thrown in.

I'd bet this is cheaper with a pass. But if you want to find out - TRY LOOKING AT THE SOURCES indicated above rather than asking us to do your work for you!

PS - one thing to bear in mind - many of the train services in the Hakone region are not covered as they are provided by a different private company.

Ah, thanks all. I totally forgot that you can make seat reservations for free with the Pass, which pretty much clinches one for me. And forgot you can use it on the Narita train, too, so that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Which is not a single train ticket. I would assume it includes:
    osaka airport - a hotel in osaka
    osaka to hakone
    hakone to tokyo
    tokyo to tokyo airport

possibly with a few shorter within town etc trips thrown in.

I'd bet this is cheaper with a pass. But if you want to find out - TRY LOOKING AT THE SOURCES indicated above rather than asking us to do your work for you!

PS - one thing to bear in mind - many of the train services in the Hakone region are not covered as they are provided by a different private company.

I checked, it seems much cheaper by buying individual ticket as compare to rail pass, as Kyoto to Hakone (Odawara) is abt JPY7k and Hakone to Tokyo about JPY1.5k. So I think I will go for the individual ticket.

Thanks for help.

Quote Originally Posted by refugees:
    I checked, it seems much cheaper by buying individual ticket as compare to rail pass, as Kyoto to Hakone (Odawara) is abt JPY7k and Hakone to Tokyo about JPY1.5k. So I think I will go for the individual ticket.

Thanks for help.
    So how are you getting to/from the airport at each end? The narita train is about 4k if I recall correctly.

Just confirming - those other prices WERE for the Shinkansen, yes? Not the normal train which takes about 3 x as long?
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 23-02-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    So how are you getting to/from the airport at each end? The narita train is about 4k if I recall correctly.

Just confirming - those other prices WERE for the Shinkansen, yes? Not the normal train which takes about 3 x as long?
    The Narita Express is 3,000 yen, or you can get other trains for a lot less. Depends on where you are staying. If you're in North Tokyo you can go to Ueno on Keisei Line which is 1,000 yen. The Narita Express isn't that "express" - I never take it.

Kyoto to Odawara is about 11k on the Shikansen, not 7k.

For getting about in Hakone, I recommend the "Hakone FreePass". You can pick one up at Odawara, and it covers local trains, busses, cable cars and also gives you discounted entrance into many of the tourist attractions. Pretty sure it gets you back to Tokyo too.

Odakyu Freepass and Coupon | Odakyu Freepass and Coupon | Odakyu Electric Railway

Very worthwhile and will save you a few thousand yen and a lot of queuing.

Geoff & Moving07

Thanks for the info. Looks like I was looking at the normal train prices. Trying to get prices under Shikansen, but doesn't seems to get any Kyoto route direction. Does shikansen goes to Kyoto?

JR-EAST: Shinkansen Reservation

You can use the link I supplied in post 3 of this thread to get prices from anywhere to anywhere in Japan. And yes, the Shinkansen does run from Tokyo to Kyoto.

You are looking at the JR-East website which only covers the area around Tokyo - hence you cannot find Kyoto on it. YOu need the full JR site (which was not running when I tried it this morning).

I agree re the Hakone FreePass - I used that on my last trip and it was great fun - the circuit route that exists with the cog-railway and cablecars and tourist ferry is a great way to spend a day.

Tks Moving07 & Geoff, u guys been great help.

Yes, this JR site been down for few days, so is kind of difficult for me to get the right info.

I realised when I qouted JPY7k for ticket, it was before the seat fare of about JPY5k, so the total should be less than JPY12k.
    Out of curiosity, what is seat fare, and why dont they just put it in as all in fare, as it is causing alkot of confusion?

Yes the Japanese shinkansen system is confusing in this way. They quote you 2 separate prices and you need to combile them to get the full price.

Also, they give you 2 sets of tickets and when you are at the station, you need to go through 2 sets of gates and it is confusing sometimes which ticket to put in which gate.

Also at some stations (like Tokyo), you may get off the shinkansen and then on a local JR train. In this case, you only go through one gate, but then at your final destination after the local train you will go through the second gate then and you will need your Shinkansen ticket to get out of the gate still.