View Poll Results: Do you Lock Suitcases to the US?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, use a TSA approved lock

5 29.41%
  • Yes, use a regular lock

1 5.88%
  • No, do not lock

11 64.71%
Like Tree1Likes

Travelling to the US, locking suitcases

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I'd never heard of people putting stuff in bags to the USA ... out of Thailand perhaps? But is it real or an urban legend?
    Slovak apology after explosives find ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I've just come home from Vancouver - spent a week in Las Vegas on the way and entered via LAX with a standard lock on my suitcase. Nothing was said.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you ask some Australians locked up in Bali for 20 years, its true! (They claim airport baggage handlers put it there).
    I have quite a few doubts about the Shapelle Corby case - while I was on 'her side' at the start, the increasing revelations about just how many members of her family appear to be in the drug business makes the whole story a little suss...... I never did figure out, for example, why anyone would smuggle drugs INTO Bali from Australia... seemed to be missing the point somewhere along the line!

I agree with you. I actually never really believed Corby. The only reason she got so much sympathy and attention was because she was hot!

Look at the Vietnamese Australian who was hanged a while ago. He got a lot of attention for only a couple of days and that was it. If Corby was going to be hanged, Australia would probably invade Indonesia to save her

Last edited by bdw; 02-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If Corby was going to be hanged, Australia would probably invade Indonesia to save her
    Perhaps back then. I think a few years in prison have taken the shine of her looks!

Duplicate post

Don't lock it under any circumstance.

If you're concerned about the zipper opening just use a few rubberbands or something similar.

Under the new(ish) homeland security laws you have no rights. People get pulled aside all the time for interrigation for the most ridiculous of reasons. A lot of checked bags get randomly searched anyhow, mine was at Newark, you can tell when they've done it as it's not folded so nicely anymore . You are just putting yourself up for a bag cutting should they choose your bag.

Flying in and out of the US is not what it used to be in the good ol days of pre 9/11. It's a damn warzone at major US airports, they're at constant alert - that's been my experience anyhow.

And like someone said, don't put valuables in there, you're just puttings yourself up for highway robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Don't lock it under any circumstance.

Silly and unhelpful advice. Why shouldn't you use an approved TSA lock exactly? As noted earlier in this thread, it certainly isn't perfect, but it will keep the average joe or baggage handler from opening it. While I don't think the TSA is perfect, at all, it would have to be a very, very small minority of them who may tamper illegally with the contents of a locked bag during a routine screening/ search.

I travel to the US once a month or so for work and use a TSA lock without any problems. The TSA has a device that opens the standard TSA locks without breaking them. Have had a checked bag opened a couple times in the last year, but the contents were generally as I left them, nothing added, nothing removed.

I have a TSA lock, but I usually just use cable ties to keep the zippers together. It's easy for them to cut off, and it's been replaced with a new one every time my bag has been searched.

They're also supposed to put a note in your bag that it has been searched.

Can someone tell me to begin with what is a TSA lock?