View Poll Results: Do you Lock Suitcases to the US?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, use a TSA approved lock

5 29.41%
  • Yes, use a regular lock

1 5.88%
  • No, do not lock

11 64.71%
Like Tree1Likes

Travelling to the US, locking suitcases

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What? No vote for travel with a gun in your bag? Wimps!
    Well, in the US you can travel with a firearm no problem as long as it's checked in and in approriate kind of container. For me as a non-American it's just crazy seeing people in front of you check in guns as if it's completely normal. Those bags/containters I think we can all safely agree should indeed be locked!

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Well, in the US you can travel with a firearm no problem as long as it's checked in and in approriate kind of container. For me as a non-American it's just crazy seeing people in front of you check in guns as if it's completely normal. Those bags/containters I think we can all safely agree should indeed be locked!
    In Australia there is so requirement to have bags unlocked or use TSA-type locks. I always lock my bag there and when travelling to any other place other than the USA. When travelling to/from/within the USA I don't lock my bag.

You can travel with checked guns in Australia. Although I have only ever seen one person do it - me. You check in normally, having previously advised the airline on booking that you will be checking in handguns. The check-in person sees this on their screen, an eyebrow is raised and they get someone from baggage to come and view the guns to ensure they are safely stored and locked. This is where it is embarrassing as you have to unlock your bag, pull out the box, unlock the box and show the gun. Doing this three times has people moving around trying to get a better look (as I like to keep it as discrete as possible). Put them all away, lock the boxes, lock the bag and the baggage guy signs something and takes it away. It is noted on the Captains cargo manifest that there are firearms checked.
    Simple really, but glad to pick up my bag safely at the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What? No vote for travel with a gun in your bag? Wimps!
    Sounds like a cool idea, but you might end up flagged forever in some Homeland Security database...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4