how to obtain ringgit and thai baht in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how to obtain ringgit and thai baht in HK

Hi,

I'm going to Malaysia and Thailand this weekend and I'd like to go with some local currency, to avoid unexpected situations.
    As I'm arriving very late to the LCCT airport, it's likely that the forex exchange shops are closed.

Where can I obtain some Ringgit and Thai Baht here in Hong Kong? do the HSCB offices provide international currencies?

Thanks

Best place to get currencies is to go to the HSBC Head Office. They have pretty much anything you'd need, in reasonable quantities...

Not sure if the branches would have Thai / Malaysian currencies, would be worth trying if you're not close to Central.

Don't use the Exchange counters at airports - they take a hefty commission.

There are ATMs at the airport - when you arrive, just go straight to them and take it out there, assuming you have a ATM card. The only place I have ever taken currency before I went was Cambodia - I made sure I had a supply of small USD notes.

LCCT has ATMs there.

However, as someone already has suggested, head to Berlin. You may want to call up in advance, but they should have Ringgit and Baht there.

I've found bhat in other HSBC branches in Central (Queens Rd across from The Center and Lyndhurst Terrace). I've not checked other branches or for ringgit.

The main HSBC branch is the place to go if you need anything obcure though

Try this website (in cantonese).. it listed the buy n sell rate for diff currencies from diff banks for the day... Pick the cheapest one (ignore visa), click on the bank, and look for the closest branch. Call b4 going there to ensure notes availability...

Personally, I find the money changer after Bkk immigration offers relatively good rates for THB.

Unless you are changing vast amounts of money, I think it's a false economy to run all over HK to find the best exchange rate from a bank. The 50 cents or a dollar you gain with an improved rate is wasted by additional travel and time.

Someone (I believe it was one of the regulars... PDLM or Skyhook?) once did a comparison of converting a fairly sizeable amount of money (tens of K) between a couple of banks, and the difference came down to the cost of a short taxi trip. If you're changing over a hundred or so K, then it's worth looking closer at bank exchange rates.

I can't be bothered digging the thread up again though, as it is to me so patently obvious (I've also done the arithmetic a couple of times before to satisfy my own curiosity.)

That said, it does make a difference whether you use a bank or a money changer. Most money changers charge quite a lot via having a really bad rate compared to the banks. Though it looks like Berlin mentioned above could be worthwhile- the spreads there are surprisingly narrow.

jgl - I think that was Football16 who did the comparison.

Just a FYI for anyone in the North West New Territories I have went to Yuen Long for my previous trips to Thailand and Malaysia and they have the currencies at the exchangers near Tai Tong Road area. Rates are pretty good too.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast