Top Ten Things to do in Bangkok

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hi Madshpr> thank you for the interesting advice. Do you know where I can get Thai silk for home renovation purposes? And do you know any good furniture store?

>> their food court and supermarket is awesome. food court is MUCH better than the overhyped Food Loft at Central Dept. store

Excellent! Thats where I'm going for dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by betty45678:
    Hi Madshpr> thank you for the interesting advice. Do you know where I can get Thai silk for home renovation purposes? And do you know any good furniture store?
    hi betty45678,
    for top quality silk you should visit Jim Thompson. his shops are all over BKK but can check out the 2 factories :

Jim Thompson Factory
    SURAWONG ROAD OUTLET
    149/4-6 Surawong Road
    Tel: (662) 2358930-2

JIM THOMPSON SALES OUTLETS
    SOI 93 OUTLET
    153 Sukhumvit Soi 93
    Tel: (662) 332-6530

Also, can check out smaller shops in MBK (Mah Boon Kong) shopping ctr; Central World Plaza; Suan Lum Night Bazaar (Lopburi section); JJ Market; and some shops along Surawongse Road near the Oriental Hotel.

hi KnowItAll,
    are u in BKK now?? so envious!! if u have time, can also try the japanese rest. (Shin Daikoku) inside the Intercontinental Hotel - great set lunches for 1xx-3xx baht.

I'm leaving in a bit ...

I actually like the lunch at the Banyan Tree... awesome mix of food.

http://www.banyantree.com/bangkok/dining_romsai.htm

What's wrong with Food Loft. The Singaporean stall there is awesome - serves a fiery laksa

Easy to go wrong with eating in BKK (I've had a couple of cases of food poisening) but there's so much choice and so much variety and if you stick to the crowded places you'll have a great time. My personal choice is Hemlock near the boat pier. Also great meals at the local folk bars dotted around the city.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    I'm leaving in a bit ...

I actually like the lunch at the Banyan Tree... awesome mix of food.

http://www.banyantree.com/bangkok/dining_romsai.htm
    That's where we had our breakfasts - not much need for lunch! The Sukhothai next door to the BT has a nice bar but we didn't get to try the restaurant...

Dont forget GO-GO show

--> What's wrong with Food Loft. The Singaporean stall there is awesome - serves a fiery laksa

hee hee, there's nothing 'wrong' w/ the Food Loft but it's just my personal opinion that it's overpriced and not that great. sure, there might be a few dishes that are worthy but for those prices, i could eat in a real restaurant.

we've managed to escape any type of gastro-intestinal mishaps (touch wood!!). we've braved it out and ate in many street stalls and loved it. there's always a list of places where we want to eat each time we go but am only able to try a few - there's really isn't enough time to eat all those food (or stomach space).

The Sukhothai suppose to have a really good Sunday Brunch. i tried the Brunch at Four Seasons earlier this month - it was quite overwhelming.

Yeah the for a food court prices at the Loft can be expensive. I was just unlucky with the food poisening I guess. Never had any bad problems at the street stalls. Had a particularly bad case at the food court at MBK.

thanks a lot, Madshpr, I will definitely check out the Japanese restaurant . I will be in Bangkok this Saturday just for a short get away. But I am a lttle worried about the strike which results in the closedown of the most upscale shopping malls you mentioned for 2-3 days, hopefully I don't need to change my plan.