japan must sees

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

japan must sees

Hello!

I'm planning on a short trip (long weekend really) to Japan for Easter. Those who've been: What are your must sees? I like beautiful natural sights, the quirky side of cities, physical experiences, good food and um... stationery

man where do i begin.

kyoto!!! kyoto!!! kyoto!!!

you can get there from tokyo in about 2.5hrs but i;d recommend staying over for a few days since it's so nice.

it has so much more than tokyo. tokyo is a fabulous city but kyoto has the real history and the temple experience is just fantastic. gion is where the story of the geisha is famous. though this has been phased out, you can still see maiko around. nearby osaka and nara are also great places to visit.

hokkaido and okinawa! such contrast. that's what's so great about japan. so much choice. something for everyone.

people tend to miss out kyushu, one of the 4 main islands but it's really worth a visit too!

depends on what you're really into, but kamakura which is like a mini kyoto is only 60 minutes from tokyo. also recommend nikko and hakone as places of natural beauty near the capital. if you;re in the right season (august) fuji-san would be a good option.

point is, don;t just limit yourself to tokyo as japan has so so much more to offer!!!

In Tokyo:

Got to do Imperial Palace, Shibuya, Meiji Shrine, Tsukiji Market (early morning). Walk around Ginza, Omotosando, Shinjuku etc.

Must goto Kyoto. Overnight is better but it can be done in one day as long as you take the fastest train (Hikari) and start early.

Hakone is a great day trip from Tokyo but having lived there I think it is overrated.

Enjoy

8-) was just at kamakura just now and commented to my fren how close to kyoto it is.. the way the temples are made and the little shops.

easter weekend u might see some sakura if u go slightly north.. i.e. sendai or hokkaido area.

there're things for everyone. depends on what u want!

kyoto in one day ? NO WAY! 8-)
    of cos my idea of seeing a place is to walk around in the streets and the local areas instead of just darting from one attraction to another.

Kyoto is good but once you've visited 10 temples you've visited them all. Go to Hiroshima and see some history.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    Kyoto is good but once you've visited 10 temples you've visited them all. Go to Hiroshima and see some history.
    no way!

hiroshima and nagasaki are nice places with some history, but kyoto wins hands down. miyajima island near hiroshima is a bit more interesting, but i could spend weeks in the kansai area. i'd say koya san is worth a visit and the small town of tottori famous for it's sand dunes and errr camels ... but only for a day!)

unfortunately, the japanese have put too much concrete around central kyoto, but that there are so many places you can get away from these architectural flaws.

if i had a weekend and wanted to relax though, a beach on okinawa would do me!

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    kyoto in one day ? NO WAY! 8-)
    of cos my idea of seeing a place is to walk around in the streets and the local areas instead of just darting from one attraction to another.
    agreed. spent 10 days over 2 trips to the kyoto area and rushed around and still got a hundred and one things more to see on my list if i get another chance.

plus the guest house there is prob one of the top three i've stayed at and i;ve stayed at over 50.

when i dun feel like looking at temples, i'd probably walk along the philosophist path and just enjoy the quiet moments u get.. especially in the morning or late at night (in season u can see fireflies).

try walking around the kiyomizu temple in the morning as well, before the main touring crowds come in... or along the northern part of kitashirakawa.... looking at the surrounding mountain.. can even try climbing the daimonji mountain and look at the city from the top...

i remembered there were like 3 spots to see kyoto from the surrounding mountain. one at the north-east (dai monji mountian), one at the west, and one more i have no impression of how to go.. sigh.. its been so long

Ah, finally this thread is getting some action! Thanks for the excellent recommendations. So far I am thinking of something like: 1 night in Tokyo, 2 in Kyoto and a visit to Nikko (a couple of ppl have recommended it!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast