Like Tree5Likes

Beach locations, easy access from HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I did think about adding Bintan to the list, but then the issue is you have to land in Singapore, clear immigration there, make your way to the ferry terminal, get on the ferry and then clear immigration again in Indonesia. I'm sure its pretty efficient, but it does add time onto the journey.
    You are right it does add time. I guess if you are after a combination resort/city vacation (1 or 2 nights in a resort + 1 or 2 nights in a city) then Singapore/Bintan could be a good option.

beachfront villas

My favorite choice will be Koh Samui, which is just under 3 hrs non stop flight from Hong Kong. The island is quite small, so it will take 10-20 mins to get to most resorts. If anyone needs recommendation to a nice beach villa, pls ps me.

Danang is pretty nice though there are no more direct flights. I remember staying at the Furama and it was great and not busy at all.

There's also Xiamen...not my cup of tea though

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    But are they as clean as Cebu? I like snorkelling but I dont know if theres any nice coral reefs near here to visit Nemo.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    you can find nemo in hong kong. plenty of half decent dive sites

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    you can find nemo in hong kong. plenty of half decent dive sites
    Really? Sai Kung, right?

yeah, around there. there's a nice marine park at hoi ha wan beach with a good reef accessible from the shore

and plenty more sites further out, accessible by boat

Any pictures? Everyone I have ever spoken too has said the diving in Hong Kong is crap... even the dive shops selling Open Water certs here.

plenty online. i've always found night dives have been better than daytime ones in HK, because the visibility's rarely more than 15m.

don't discount it though. there's still a fair amount to see if you're in the right places, on the right days, with the right guys.

of course it's not like the philippines, but it's fine for a few dives now and again

Snorkeling and diving in Hong Kong
    Photos from home, Hong Kong
    Hong Kong discoveries
    Hong Kong discoveries (II)
    Hong Kong discoveries (III)
    Gilbert's Hong Kong Collection (I)
    Gilbert's Hong Kong Collection (II)
    Gilbert's Hong Kong Collection (III)
    Marine Life in Hong Kong (I) by Leslie Chan
    The Treasures of My Memory - Hong Kong (I)
    The Treasures of My Memory - Hong Kong (II)
    The Treasures of My Memory - Hong Kong (III)
    Dolphins and Porpoises in Hong Kong
    Lost in Ocean: Sperm Whale stranded in Hong Kong

Geoff likes this.

I've never seen a horseshoe crab underwater - are these common? Would get wet to check one of these out!

Horseshoe crabs once thrived on many beaches in Hong Kong, but have largely disappeared since the late 1980s. In a recent study, many local fishermen expressed the belief that Hong Kong is no longer a habitat for horseshoe crabs. Apart from fishing, one of the most obvious reasons accounting for such a change is the environmental impacts, including urban development and marine pollution, upon beaches where adult horseshoe crabs breed and juveniles grow.

source:
    Nursery beaches for Horseshoe Crabs in Hong Kong
    by Huang Qin, Helen Chiu and Brian Morton
    Porcupine! 18 - Horseshoe Crabs in Hong Kong

i guess not! give it a go though - there's plenty that'll surprise you!