Hanoi review

Closed Thread

Hanoi review

Hi all,

so after all my questions on Hanoi I have finally been so thought I would update you...

Flights - I ended up flying with Hong Kong airlines for £170 per person

Visas - I went to the embassy in Wan Chai and it was so easy, passport, one photo and a form, a 30min visa costs $500HKD each. If you have longer it is a lot cheaper to pick it up a few days later

Hotel - I decided to go with Hanoi Elegance 4, hotel staff were good, rooms good, food good etc no complaints at all. Only thing I would say were showers were very complicated and all the gadgets in it didn't really work too well!! Location is fab, very central, cabs all around so it's not hard to get anywhere if you want to.

Halong bay - I booked a private one day cruise around Halong Bay for $85USD each and it was worth it. Transfer to and from there, huge boat, seafood lunch, cave visit and even flowers for my boyfriends birthday.

The two highlights of the trip in Hanoi which I would recommend were definitely Ho Chi Minh mausoleum and the Hanoi Prison which both really surprised me.

Hope the above helps anyone planning on going, enjoy!!

Last edited by shelley1; 13-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.

I know you titled the post Hanoi review, but you briefly mentioned HCM at the end even though they're at opposite ends of the country, so I'll add this point in on visas.

Visa - You can purchase visas at Ho Chi Minh airport for USD25. Make sure, you have the exact amount, as they don't give change even though they have change to give. Waiting times can vary, my friend didn't need to wait when she arrived as they processed it within 5 minutes. When I got there, I had to wait about 45 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan888:
    I know you titled the post Hanoi review, but you briefly mentioned HCM at the end even though they're at opposite ends of the country
    I can't see a contradiction here, as the OP only mentioned the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum in Hanoi.

Quote Originally Posted by Yan888:
    I know you titled the post Hanoi review, but you briefly mentioned HCM at the end even though they're at opposite ends of the country, so I'll add this point in on visas.
    The HCM Mausoleum is in Hanoi....

Yeah, thanks Yan888 I understand the confusion but as the above mentioned I didn't actually go to HCM. I went to the Mausoleum which is where the embalmed body of HCM is actually laid, it is also where his old house and the presidential palace is so you don't need another visa to do this

Nice to read your review about the trip to the capital of my country I'm from Saigon btw!