Recommend must see places in Taiwan?

Closed Thread

Recommend must see places in Taiwan?

I am building my list of places to see and things to do while I live in Hong Kong. I am interested in foreign cultures, architecture, landscape architecture and remote mountainous places. I would rather stay with a local family than in a generic hotel. I still do appreciate architecture so do like city life and staying in old or new significant buildings. I love the Jin Mao Building in Shanghai, the Chrysler Building in New York along with things like the the Doyle Hotel (late 19th century Victorian Hotel still with 1 bath per floor $10 per night 25c draft beer in the bar) in Pennsylvania when I hiked the Appalachian trail. For me an interesting but not deadly experience is actually better than the any package tour. Based on my idiosyncrasies, does anyone have recommendations on places to see in Taiwan. I am thinking a 4 day trip initially, but could dedicate more time.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up

九份 "jiu fen" and 陽明山 "yang ming shan" are the places that you must visit. drink a tea or coffee in the above places ... also enjoy the fantastic mountain scene...

since you're interested in architecture, you should really take a peek at Taipei 101... awesome building

yeah, 101 is nice, wait for a clear day though. I went on a train ride up a mountain there.. cant remember the name exactly, but its one of the longest or highest mountain climbing trains in the world. at the top is a forest of really big trees, many of which have their own names . no one speaks english there

another favorite of mine was hualian for the mountain/river/gorge. has a beautiful waterfall, the best i've ever seen by far. it runs through a temple patio, and you can walk through it if you like.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

The Grand Hotel at northern side of Taipei is a rather spectacular and unusual hotel to stay in (I did on my first Taiwan visit in 82).

In Taipei itself, very intersting and intricately designed temples - Lung Shan Temple near Snake Alley (Huashi), Pao An Temple, Confucious Temple.

Taipei 101 recommended - not a great-looking building from a distance IMHO, but great ambience up close.

Wow this is a friendly community

JYY Thanks for the places including the characters since they will prove useful.

TD Definitely have Taipei 101 on the list.

Mike I will look to stay in Taipei a least a couple of days and choose the clearest for 101. Was the train to Alishan? Hualian is now on my list also.

HKFella Great information on the hotel and temples.

Great mix of suggestions, now I will have to see what a travel agent thinks about linking them together.

Thank you all

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Here's a reservation site link that shows you what The Grand Hotel, Taipei, looks like. You can google for others and their own page (do not confuse with Grand Hyatt, Grand Formosa Regent and such like):
    http://www.hoteltravel.com/taiwan/ta...and_taipei.htm

I have heard about an interesting drive through a mountain range in Taiwan; the highway passes thro' beautiful granite caves. Has anyone done that trip? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fang:
    Mike I will look to stay in Taipei a least a couple of days and choose the clearest for 101. Was the train to Alishan? Hualian is now on my list also.
    yeah thats it it was real nice up there, but be prepared for cold and damp weather. atleast thats how it was last august