Like Tree14Likes

anyone been to Manila?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I've had meals in Manila that cost about $6 too. It really depends on how adventurous you are. BTW, if you're into Italian-American food, Manila has much better pasta and pizza than HK does. They even have Sbarro's out there, which really made my day. You definitely want to try some Pinoy food out there though.

If you're going to have all your meals at the hotel, expect to pay HK prices.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-06-2010 at 02:58 PM.

If you are not adventurous, Manila is FULL of american style fast-food joints selling burgers and what-not for very low prices.

[QUOTE= i ll be there only for 3 days anyway.....if i have 5days off would choose to go to Guam instead.[/QUOTE]

you can do guam in three days actually. if you fly from manila, take continental micronesia - leave late in the evening for guam, and return to manila at night.

it's only 2-3 hrs from manila too so it's just like going to hk from manila

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    If you are not adventurous, Manila is FULL of american style fast-food joints selling burgers and what-not for very low prices.
    True, but the burgers are tiny and the fries come in kid-sized portions. I found that out the hard way at Wendy's (which wasn't all that cheap)!

na, i am not a big fan of junk food and I dont like pasta basically. I am more into trying local food person, so can you tell me if theres any philippines restaurants close to Bay area that I am going to stay or i need to go to downtown? Personally I 'd prefer local food but with nice deco in a restaurant more than trying local food on the street(street food). I have roughly checked out google last nite for Manila map. Makati City is a bit of distance from Manila bay.

LOL - my earlier post about the local food was clearly not clear enough. It's basically revolting. However, if you are keen, walk along the esplanade of Manila Bay in the evening and you will find stalls selling the local delicacy - which is Balut. After sampling this, you can walk to Harbour Square where there are many restaurants, several serving local cuisine. It's about the only half-decent place to eat in the Bay area (I've eaten there 3 times now - the restaurant right in the centre serve local food and it apparently famous for it; our group was not overly enamoured with their experience!).

Balut is popular throughout the Phils as an aphrodisiac. I'm going to try some in July.

I actually quite like Filipino food. Some of my favorite dishes include sisig, lechon and bulalo.

There are tons of places to eat in Malate (a short ride away) as well. The malls have some decent restaurants too if you prefer a more comfortable setting to eating at a turo turo (street food stall).

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.

As Min07 says - there is a very good reason why there are no Philippines restaurants around the world! The food is really, really crap - too salty, too oily, too vinegary. Horribly unhealthy overall.

There are many good restaurants in Manila (see the reviews I linked above) but almost without exception they serve cuisines other than Filipino.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Balut is popular throughout the Phils as an aphrodisiac. I'm going to try some in July.
    Frankly, if you're in the Philippines and you need any sort of aphrodisiac then there's something fundamentally wrong!

(And quite how crunching through duck foetus could help you get it up when Filipina womanhood has failed is beyond me.)

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

(And quite how crunching through duck foetus could help you get it up when Filipina womanhood has failed is beyond me.)
    Oh you let the cat out of the bag; (or the foetus out of the egg) ... I was hoping for a review when she got back

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast