Like Tree14Likes

anyone been to Manila?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

How long ago was this? If more than a year or so then the system has changed with the introduction of the Yellow metered airport taxis.

It was about a year ago.

The taxis are metered. Make sure the driver starts the meter--even the airport cab drivers will try to rip you off. They can also make the meter go faster once it's running, so it's good to know approximately how much a cab ride should cost you from NAIA to your destination.

oh god, reading your comments here makes me worry about visiting manila now. why the philippinos are that dodgy trying to rip tourists off? even thailand is 3rd world country, people still quite honest over there. so how much will that cost usually from airport to bay area of sofitel hotel? i hate dodgy people, dishonest people........

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Maggie:
    oh god, reading your comments here makes me worry about visiting manila now. why the philippinos are that dodgy trying to rip tourists off? even thailand is 3rd world country, people still quite honest over there. so how much will that cost usually from airport to bay area of sofitel hotel? i hate dodgy people, dishonest people........
    There is really no need to be worried as long as you exercise some common sense and judgment. The Philippines is generally no worse than Thailand when it comes to tourist/traveler rip-offs - in fact, I would say that she slightly better.

Honestly, Maggie, I hope you're not going alone because you seem a bit green. There are loads of scams in Thailand too, but I strongly believe the Philippines takes the cake when it comes to ripping you off. The airport cab should run you 200-250 tops. DO NOT let them rip you off by asking you how much you want to pay. If they do that, say 150 and they'll be like...uh...ok...let's use the meter. There are no tolls or surcharges from the airport, so pay what's on the meter and tip if you feel the cabbie deserves it.
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 08-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.

They are poor as shit with a ridiculous amount of social problems. To the enlightened traveler manila is a fascinating place, but it's certainly no 'land of smiles and happiness' a la Thailand. It's a gritty and gun ridden city with much to see if you travel smart and keep an open mind. Open a book about philipino history before making some random comparison to Thailand. Where did you think you were going to, disneyland?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    MovingIn07 likes this.

An additional reason why being overcharged in the Philippines is common is because it is part of Filipino culture to help those who are less well off than you are. Charity and wealth distribution have been a part of Filipino culture long before the Spanish arrived. Lots of Filipinas here are helping sisters/cousins get through university in the Philippines.

As a wealthy foreigner, you are expected to pay over the odds since you have more money.

ahhahaha..thank you all for the advise/comments again. Na, I am going with a friend, never liked to travel alone. so we ll see......thanks again!

dodgy, dishonest people can be found all over the world. i've been ripped off by cab drivers here in HK and in 1st world countries when I wasn't paying attention. don't be so naive.

heck all you have to do is google being ripped off by camera / electronic retailers along nathan road and you will see how many unsuspecting foreigners have been ripped off by local retailers. Bait and switch, price gouging, etc ...

Nathan Road, Hong Kong - Tourist Traps - VirtualTourist

i hate dishonest people as much as you do, maybe even more, but don't categorize the whole population as such.

and for the record it's FILIPINO not PHILIPPINO.

FILIPINA for the females
    and PHILIPPINES the country.
    Last edited by TaLL|dUdE; 09-06-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast