Like Tree6Likes

Calling all keen readers - book club

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Hi Chris,

I was reading Guns, Germs and Steel... but I actually found that he was repeating the same ideas throughout each chapter. It was a bit dry to me.

NinaSimone, I read A Thousand Suns as you said it was good... I loved the plot and I even shed a few tears at the end! You are right that it is better than Kite Runner. I agree totally.

So, who's heard of this new book The Celestine Prophecy? Worth reading?

I am all for meeting up if we can get enough people.

Personally, I liked Guns, Germs, and Steel a lot, along with Jared Diamond's other bestseller, Collapse. I suppose it is true that he does repeat the same ideas - as with other 'big idea' books, he starts with his premise, and applies it through various examples throughout the books. I think Diamond's ideas have a lot of merit, although it is true that his central theme in "Collapse" - the fragility of a society that fails to adapt - is undermined a bit by the fact that his examples - the Maya, the Viking Settlers in Greenland, the Easter Islanders - were fragile and isolated to begin with. Still, it makes for compelling reading. The story of the lost Greenland settlements is chilling (ignore the pun please).

Personally, I wouldn't read The Celestine Prophecy - New Age drek. Reading it is probably like reading The da Vinci Code - you'd probably be better off watching TV. To each his own, though.

Ok, Free Trader, I will get my hands on Collapse, your comments got me intrigued again.

Who has read Never Let Me Go? By Kazuo Ishiguro. Shortlisted for Booker Prize. I loved it.

Also, any David Sedaris fans here? I heard he was good.

I love Terry Prachett too by the way, so if there are any Discworld fans in HK, raise your hand and say Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by kayelle:
    Ok, Free Trader, I will get my hands on Collapse, your comments got me intrigued again.

Who has read Never Let Me Go? By Kazuo Ishiguro. Shortlisted for Booker Prize. I loved it.

Also, any David Sedaris fans here? I heard he was good.

I love Terry Prachett too by the way, so if there are any Discworld fans in HK, raise your hand and say Hello!
    I am a big fan of Ishiguro (The Remains of the Day, An Artist of the Floating World, A Pale View of Hills)...I was disappointed with "When We Were Orphans" and I purchased "Never Let Me Go" and still have my copy but actually haven't read it yet. I bought it at the same time as Ian McEwan's "Saturday" and actually read "Saturday" instead. Never Let Me Go might be a good book to read.

David Sedaris is funny - I've read enough of him, though, I think.

I haven't read even one book from Sedaris - where have I been! Freetrader, will you recommend one title to me? LoveNinaSimone said Me Talk Pretty is good. What is your opinion?

Anyone read Liar's Poker? Good? Bad?

I have not heard of Ian McEwan. Another author to read up on, thanks for the recommendation.

Any Prachett fans?

Perhaps we can even have a general book discussion meet up end of Sept?

Hi guys,

good to see new and old names on the thread. Freetrader welcome back and I love Collapse as well. Sedaris was my recommendation and I know his last book was not as good, but to me there still are enough sparks of delight. And Chris good to see you here as well. I won't make your meet this Sunday as I'm racing on that day, but would love to get together some other time. Kayelle, Liar's Poker was a fun read though compared with the derivatives today it was the innocent days.

Sorry I was consumed by work and sports lately, evident by the late hour and my weary eyes. I am still planning on reading Kafka on the Shore. Kayelle you still have the book? You guys interested in reading this one?

I guess you'd like The Celestine Prophecy if you're into spiritual things like New Age or eastern philosophy.

I'm a big fan of Haruki Murakami, and Kafka on the Shore is one of my favourite Haruki Murakami novels. Now I'm waiting for the translation of 1Q84 to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by crescent:
    I guess you'd like The Celestine Prophecy if you're into spiritual things like New Age or eastern philosophy.

I'm a big fan of Haruki Murakami, and Kafka on the Shore is one of my favourite Haruki Murakami novels. Now I'm waiting for the translation of 1Q84 to come out.
    I like Murakami a lot - I've read most of his short stories in The New Yorker, and I read his book After Dark. Since I like to run, I want to eventually read "What I Think About When I Think About Running" but haven't yet.

kayelle I have not heard of Ian McEwan. Another author to read up on, thanks for the recommendation.

Atonement is my favorite book of his, by the way. I didn't really care for the movie version, even though it followed the book fairly closely, and had a great cast.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast