Misplaced in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How about being called "jooksing"

Hello All,

I am a CBC=Canadian born Chinese and sometimes i hear the term "jooksing" used. People in HK sometimes use the term "jooksing" to describe Chinese ppl born overseas. Errrrrrrr i think it's a bit off topic but oh well. Personally, i do not take offense to that.

Steve

I really have to laugh, because this thread has taken on quite a twist. netalil is possibly facing another boring weekend, but at least she can seek comfort in knowing that there's been replies in her thread

well, i was actually born in asia, but spent my growing years overseas, especially america (and still growing, though not in height and hopefully not weight etiher ). in uk, "asian" was used to refer specifically to indians, and "oriental" as used to refer to non-indian asians. So for the sake of clarity, i had used "oriental". but really, call me either, and it suits me just fine. it's between half of a dozen and 6 for me

personally, i think "oriental" sounds exotic with a more eastern connotation encompassing cultural works. asian also carries its own alluring flavour (as do caucasian and all others for that matter), but with a more geographical connotation.

*me bows*

hi,ive just joind geo,,,so wat kind of movies do u lik,,,,,im learning scuba divin right now ,its fun u wanna join

across the smorgasboard. where're ya from?

I'm definitely Oriental. I'm from Leyton.

I reckon maybe two people on this board will understand that. Okay, one.

Quote Originally Posted by tomkitten
    I'm definitely Oriental. I'm from Leyton.

I reckon maybe two people on this board will understand that. Okay, one.
    Yeah, very exotic. Dead right about the inscrutable customs though. Innit.

Can't we just call people... people?

I have seen something here and there that seems the common English word (not been changed or banned yet AFAIK) and that in my opinion might be worse. Please, never ever use the word "race" to describe people. Genetics did prove that there is but one Human Race and that's it.

Some of us are from Africa, others from the Americas, Asia or Europe. Some might even be from "Oceania" but I seldom see this term used nowadays. Altough there is one human race they are several so called "ethnic groups" and other sub-groups within these groups.

Now I wonder how to call these groups without offendind anyone?
    Should we just stick to Geography? What we might look like? How about cultural background?

For example I had no idea people in the UK would think Asians is limited to Indians (it's almost funny because anybody East of Europe and Africa up the Japan/Korea is Asian). I had no idea either that "Oriental" would be offensive (I know some people find the term gweilo offensive).

There is also something interesting, in some countries it is know considered rude to call a blind person blind (yeah right my cousin is blind and don't tell him otherwise) or to call a dwarf a dwarf. So if we can't call a cat a cat what shall we say? A little house tiger?

One last thing, some of my friends refer themselves as "banana", I am somehow black inside and white outside, is there any non offensive word for that?

Why not just call people... people?

Last edited by philippe; 15-01-2007 at 01:07 PM.

testify.

not banana

hi philippe,

i'm trying darn hard to think of a fruit for you, but can't.

thank you for your candid input. i concur.

oRIENTAL

The term "Oriental" is derived from the Latin word oriens, which is the present participle of "orior": to rise. The implication is that it refers to the rising sun, hence the use of Orient to describe the "land of the rising sun

tHEN THE AMERICANS WHICH COPY AND COPIED ALL VERBAL SOUNDS FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD MISINTERPRETATED AS OFTEN HAPPENS THE WORD INAPPROPRIETLY AND ASSOCIATED IT WITH I DUNO WHAT FANTASY TO A RACISM WORD.

BUT I KNOW THE TERM 'ENEMY' IS WHAT THE PEOPLE IN POOR COUNTRIES LIKE IRAQ ASSOCIATE TO AMERICANS, IT PREVALES FOR THEM THEN THE TERMS AMERICANS, THEY ACTUALLY STUDY ENEMY AS A COUNTRY(USA)AND ENEMIES AS ITS INHABITANTS SO.....

SAME S IT ALL ACROSS THE GLOBE, I JUST SIT DOWN AND WATCH THE SHOW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2