Misplaced in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Misplaced in Hong Kong

hi everyone, i'm of oriental ethnicity but brought up in america. so, not in sync with the locals (the language's greek to me!), and not sure where the expats are. been here for a month already, and still spending boring weekends. the shopping thing gets old after a while. very keen on sports and board games... we could have weekly get-together over movies, potlucks, etc.... [email protected]

so what brings you to hk?
    i also spend quite a long period in the US (in california), but was raised in hk actually.
    i just got back to hk about two months ago. currently studying @ hku dental.

Theres a thread running about a board games club on Geo. Try that...

EDIT: Apologies - I see you have!

Last edited by JBest; 13-11-2006 at 11:53 AM.

at the moment, just a long vacation...

Netalil - may I ask where you are from? You referred to yourself as "of oriental ethnicity" which I find quite odd. I'm American and I find that most Asian-Americans take offense to the term "oriental" but I've heard that in the UK it is used often as there, "Asian" refers more to people from India.

Just wondering. I find it interesting how some terms are acceptable in some places and not others.

**Oh woops just read that you were brought up in America. Well then maybe I'm wrong, maybe not all Asian-Americans take offense to the term "oriental".

Quote Originally Posted by lukbealaldy
    Netalil - may I ask where you are from? You referred to yourself as "of oriental ethnicity" which I find quite odd. I'm American and I find that most Asian-Americans take offense to the term "oriental" but I've heard that in the UK it is used often as there, "Asian" refers more to people from India.

Just wondering. I find it interesting how some terms are acceptable in some places and not others.

**Oh woops just read that you were brought up in America. Well then maybe I'm wrong, maybe not all Asian-Americans take offense to the term "oriental".
    i never knew "oriental" was considered offensive until my sister berated me for referring to us as such. from that point i for some reason got really irritated when people would use the term, even though i have no idea what the reason for the irritation is!

(btw maybe we should start a club of US born/raised asians who don't speak canto...)

I know there are all kinds of reasons for why "oriental" is considered offensive (only when referring to people, not objects). Tho I don't care enough either to actually know the reasons.

I was just surprised because even though I know in some places "oriental" isn't as offensive, I've never actually known any Asian person who referred to themselves as such before. Therefore I was quite curious about Netalil's background. And I was curious to see if I've been wrong all this time taking offense to the term "oriental"...

My husband and I were discussing this subject the other day. We are British and in the UK it is common to use the term 'Oriental' although it is not as used now as it used to be. We were wondering if it was offensive and if so why? We try not to use the term as we were not sure! The statement about 'Asian' being used in the UK to determine those from India is also correct but again we are not sure why- Asia is a big place and I suppose people like to differentiate?

out of curiosity I did a Google search:

The political correctness of the term Oriental depends on where you
    are from and to whom you are speaking. Here in North America it is
    considered to be offensive. In Europe and in parts of Asia it is
    acceptable and in common usage.

One reason for its perceived offensiveness has to do with the meaning
    of the root word, Orient. This term is derived from the Latin word
    oriens, referring to where the sun rises in the east. Since oriental
    is used to describe places (and people) that are to the East only in
    relation to Europe, the term is considered by some to be Eurocentric.

But more likely, the real issue is its connotations stemming from the
    times when Europeans viewed the Orient as exotic lands full of
    romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable
    customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated
    feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts it is now widely taken
    to be offensive.

See the usage note here:

ANSWERS.COM: Oriental
    http://www.answers.com/oriental&r=67

Thanks Twinkle. Those reasons sound about right. But I guess at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to determine if something is offensive.

Personally I don't like "oriental" because it just sounds dated (like that article says)... i mean, if my ancestors are from Asia, then I'm Asian. Period. End of story. India isn't the only country in Asia so I don't see why even in the UK the term "oriental" still exists...

And I find it extremely strange when I hear it used in the US.

Hmmm oh well...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast