Any ABCs or other foreign BCs who are illiterate?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by kareen:
    Hi all! I came back to HK about a month and a half ago. I was actually born in HK but I've been living in Canada for the past 20 years so in a way, I feel like a quasi-foreigner here too. I can speak Canto fluently, read certain words in menus and can't write for the life of me. For some reason, whenever I converse with locals, they can tell that I'm not one of them. The first question they ask is, "so are you back for holiday?" or "where are you from?" I was quite fed up with that at the store today so I asked the salesgirl how she knew. She replied, "Oh, because you generally speak and move slower." So do I take that as a compliment or an insult??? Anyway, just thought I'd vent a little. Hope none of you have similar experience...
    cant say much about moving slower. but hongers like to walk quickly like theyr'e in a hurry all the time. dont you find that escalators move much faster than in canada or usa? but it's true how the stereotype goes. if u're non-honger u think slower. i dont think that's an insult particularly. every honger knows that their pace of life is much faster than anywhere else in the world. it's not an insult to us tho but it's a compliment to themselves.

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong

I think only those HKers who are going to and from their offices walk in a hurry... but besides that group in general HK people walk REALLY REALLY slow. I agree, they're in a huge rush in the elevators, getting on and off trains, buses, etc... but once they start walking... suddenly that energy seems to be gone. Anyone know why that is? Maybe this belongs on the 'elevator door close' thread.

You're right though... local HKers really do like to compliment themselves, even if that inadvertantly insults others.

Thanks for posting the facebook groups muse. Very interesting!

I'm a CBA (Chinese Born American) and of course I know English... though I'm not that good.

I'm Canadian born! Moving to HK in March, see you all then~ =D

British born Chinese

Hey, Ive just arrived into HK and would like to meet new ppl.....anyone know when the next BBC or other BBC events? thanks

Unfortunately I too fit into this, although apparently my canto is good enough to mask that I'm a CBC. Really want to build up on my read / write chinese ability ability though... *sigh*

The BBCs in Hong Kong group have a monthy Friday night drinks gathering. I think they may have one in a few weeks.

Email [email protected] to be be added to the mailing list. The organiser, Chris, is a really nice guy.

Anyone is welcome at these.

Last edited by muse07; 24-06-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Let's arrange to meet up !!

I think there always exist some misunderstandings between locals and expats here (particularly those who does not speak mother tongue and feel like not part of the community). Honestly, Cantonese is not essential if you just meet around expats in HK, but it is important if you want to live up to the local spirits here. Hong Kong is vey different to what you have usually seen in LKF. There are lots of other places in hk worth to visit, e.g. the taipatongs. I could tour you around the city if you wanna to explore some of the different things here. My parent's from Taiwan so i guess i could teach you both Canto and Putonghua through the visit. My email address: [email protected]. Nice to meet you all.

Hi everyone, I am also BBC, I understand how everyone feels, my cantonese is moderately fluent ( only learned from 16, Mother dialogue is Hakka), however, though, I never attend any chinese classes, as they practice and persistant counts as I pretty much can read ( and to a certain extent write) chinese ( though newspapers are pretty hard, as they use such formal language)if you got desire and dedication, then anything is possible, use any possible methods, listening to canto ballad ( though i don't do that more) watching TV dramas, using a electronic translator, evem reading the a certain article from the free newspaper - the standard, you will get there eventually, that if you really want to!!

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10