Like Tree1Likes

Volunteer groups for underprivilege children

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

for those interested, i think the below event is a good start to volunteering. I hope to join the next one but i'll be away in sg for a week.

the website: http://hiking.meetup.com/130/calendar/5850719/

When:
    Saturday, June 23, 2007
    Where:
    Mei Foo MTR
    Exit A
    Hong Kong

Description:
    Delia School in Mei Foo is one of few schools that provides schooling for ethnic minority kids in Hong Kong. These kids are HK residents with Nepal, Pakistan, Thai, or Philippine origins. We are happy to be able to work with the teachers in Delia School who have agreed to arrange 40 kids for this outing with our volunteers on Saturday the 23rd of June. The place I choose for the outing is the huge BBQ site near the entrance of Tai Tam Reservoir. We will provide snacks and drinks for the kids. Hope the children and the volunteers will have a good time to get to know each other. This could be one of series events we plan to do with these kids.

volunteering

Quote Originally Posted by gracey:
    I'm new in hk, am stayin on hk island. like to meet more people but also would really like to join a volunteer group that helps the children from poorer families. Does anyone know where I can find more info? Likewise, if you are interested in volunteering when such organised events come about, drop me a note and i'll keep u posted!
    I have just finished a stint at Apli Chau school teaching children english after school. I had a group of around 7 children with a very basic grasp of english. The headmistress is always looking for english speaking people to help out after school from 3.30- 4.30pm. It's an easy bus ride to Lei Tong estate where the school is. I found that on Ho sum website. If you want any more information let me know. there are so many amazing charities here on HK island. I am involved with about 3 different ones that are very different from each other.

Hi sandyduncan,
    Please give more information on the Apli Chau school you were volunteering at. I would also like to know about the other charities you are involved with - I am interested in finding somewhere I can offer some time.

thanks

hi sandyduncan... count me in too...

I've been interested in going to Po Leung Kuk (http://www.poleungkuk.org.hk/plk/ind...20060804114558) for a while now. They seem to have a really good sponsorship program where, not only you can help the children financially, you can visit them and be a major part of their lives.

They have other volunteering programs as well. Check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by sandyduncan:
    I have just finished a stint at Apli Chau school teaching children english after school. I had a group of around 7 children with a very basic grasp of english. The headmistress is always looking for english speaking people to help out after school from 3.30- 4.30pm. It's an easy bus ride to Lei Tong estate where the school is. I found that on Ho sum website. If you want any more information let me know. there are so many amazing charities here on HK island. I am involved with about 3 different ones that are very different from each other.
    hi sandyduncan, i am an expat. is it legal to participate in these activities if you are on a work permit. just want to play safe.

Oooops.... i do not have a work permit though... i am still hunting for a job is this legal ?

volunteer work

It's been a real eye opener doing volunteer work here in Hong Kong. But it is a commitment. so please be respectful of the time and energy many organisations and individuals put in to organise volunteer work.If you can only commit to a few months be up front. I have seen how expats once they get settled in and meet new people seem to forget their commitments.
    Just replying specifically to a couple of you in regards to teaching english.I am now fluent in a few cantonese words like Sit down, be quiet, stop talking, NO!!! hahahaha! But it is all good. I also work for animals Asia doing Professor Paws where you go into schools with a dog and teach children how to be kind to dogs etc..i help out with a 17 yo (english and mentoring)through the Changing Young Lives foundation. I have just put my name down for the orphanage at Causeway bay and I have helped nurse a sick dog from HKDR. It sounds like a lot but it isn't really. But when I commit to a time and a date i am there!! If you really want to know specifics PM me. I have met some great locals by doing this. Sandy

arathi likes this.